//some 3rd party need geo

old pc with wireless connection

Super Frankie Lamps 16:02 26 Jul 05

i am just about to buy a wireless card for a (in my opinion cr**) pc that my son has just been given and am interested to know your opinion on whether it will work ok.

The pc runs an "AuthenticAMD K6 3d processor with 56MB RAM" and only 10gb hard drive. OS is Win98.

I have a laptop, with wireless connection to a Belkin router. If i add a card, will it automatically detect and connect to my b/band account?

I need to know if this internet connection will work, how fast i can expect it to go, or is it just worth waiting until i buy him a new pc sometime next year?

I need someone else to clarify this and i need hard evidence to put in front of the 7 year old taskmaster :)

p.s. will xp work on this system ??

Strawballs 22:12 26 Jul 05

XP will only work if you up the memory it will just about run on 128meg preferably 256meg (I had a K62 550meg machine running XP and if you up the memory I can,t see any reason why the wireless wont work. my son has a 900meg duron, 128meg memory with a wireless card on my network.

Taff36 08:23 27 Jul 05

I frequently connect Win98SE PC`s to my wireless router when I am sorting them out for friends. I use a USB wireless adapter rather than an internal card. It`s a lot quicker and easier than opening up the box and removing it afterwards! Obviously you can transfer it to the new computer when it arrives!

XP - I agree with strawballs. Memory is an issue but where did you get the 56 MB info from? Seems an odd amount.

Super Frankie Lamps 16:57 28 Jul 05

thanks for that advice gents. btw, the info on ram came from the system information printout. Looks like more RAM for my boy. And i will try the USB wireless adapter.

cheers

mgmcc 13:04 29 Jul 05

<<<Memory is an issue but where did you get the 56 MB info from? Seems an odd amount.>>>

64MB less 8MB for shared graphics?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…