Old PC software to new PC

Phil the Bear 16:54 06 Sep 05

Previously when I've upgraded PC's I've swapped old disks in or upgraded hard disks and, therefore, haven't had any problem keeping my old software, data, etc.

However, I think it's time I bought a new PC. My question is - is there any way I can copy my current hard disk's contents to a new pc and keep the programs working? Over the years I've bought a lot of software and upgraded much of it several times. Re-installing it, even if I can find all the disks is going to be horrendous. Is there an easier way?

Thanks

Phil

Totally-braindead 18:09 06 Sep 05

You can copy the programs over but if you're going from either 98 or ME to Windows XP then some programs will not work, not many but a few. If the programs are really old then the software developers will not even help with a patch to make the program work with XP, some programs will work fine, some you can get to run with compatability mode and some just won't run at all.

Phil the Bear 18:39 06 Sep 05

I'll be going from XP pro to Xp pro but I'm concerned about things like registry entries etc. My current disk is IDE and the new one is likely to be an ATA so I can't put either disk into the other machine and do a mirror type transfer.

With programs like Photoshop I'm fairly sure that straight copying of installed software won't work and that's a program that I've upgraded at least 4 times...

jack 19:45 06 Sep 05

Get your self a USB caddy.
When you have it put the old drive in and you will have an external HDD copy across from there.
This ATA/Raid business is still a bit deep from me, bit I gather as far as hardware goes its all the same, therefore i hesitated in suggesting simply installimg it on a spare ide slot- but may be you can!

dave_and_confused 07:29 07 Sep 05

"I'll be going from XP pro to Xp pro but I'm concerned about things like registry entries etc."

"With programs like Photoshop I'm fairly sure that straight copying of installed software won't work and that's a program that I've upgraded at least 4 times... "

The cleanest and easiest way is to reinstall unfortunately. There's not just the registry to consider but the files programs install in the Windows and System32 directory and the DLL Cache. It'll probably be more hassle to try and copy the programs over than to reinstall.

If you have upgraded several times then some programs will allow you to install the latest version and still use the same key to save you from having to upgrade 4 times. However some don't.

Yoda Knight 13:20 07 Sep 05

Hmmm, personally I would have looked into "ghosting" the drive...

Phil the Bear 14:16 07 Sep 05

Yoda - sounds good - but how?

stylehurst 14:23 07 Sep 05

Have a look at the Acronis site, they do a program "Acronis Disk Image" which can either make an image of your old disk, or even better clone your old disk to your new disk.
I think you can download the program and use it for a trial period, if not it is still reasonably priced for a full version.
If you installed the full version then once you have cloned your old drive onto your new drive you could, if you purchased a USB caddy from somebody like Novatech, use your old drive in the caddy as a back up device.

Diodorus Siculus 14:23 07 Sep 05

click here for Ghost

But it is not a good idea to ghost a windows installation from one PC to another with very different hardware.

The best suggestion I can make is to install your OS onto the new machine, update it, install all necessary programs and then create a Ghost image. That way you have the hard work done if yu need again to install everything.

keith-236785 19:14 08 Sep 05

the file and transfer wizard

start/all programs/accessories/system tools/file and transfer wizard MIGHT give you the answer you want but do some more checking up before assuming it is the prog you want to use.

this will copy all your windows settings/e-mail setup and account details but not i believe secondary software packages....if you want a full copy then Norton Ghost or Acronis Drive Image is going to be the answer.

User-312386 19:18 08 Sep 05

Do not Ghost from an old PC to a new PC

It will bring all the registry settings etc etc

Clean install then load all the programmes again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…