Old PC running Win 95

Simsy 15:18 29 Dec 03

Hi folks,

I’m after some advice regarding a very old PC with Win 95 on it…

My young sister has been given a “handmedown” old PC. It seems to have a 75MHz cpu and 48MB RAM. The HDD is a little over 2Gig, partitioned 800Mg as “C” with the rest as “D”. It has a graphics card in a slot that’s not AGP, (I can’t remember if it’s ISA or PCI, the board does have both, but the machine is now with my sister so can’t check at the moment). It’s running, (kind of!), Win 95, and we have Win95 disc and product key.

I’ve done the following, uninstalled all apps except Win 95, run a registry cleaner, defragged and installed Cacheman, Writer, (from OpenOffice 1.0), and the free office suite 602.

Now all she wants it for is to use as a “typewriter”… and really do mean that! It’s to replace a stand alone Amstrad Word Processor that has finally failed terminally! I’ve bought her a cheap printer with a parallel interface, (click here), and it does work ok.

(Buying a new machine, even 2nd hand, is not an option. The total outlay has been for the printer.)

The PC does work… but really slowly. It takes over 2 mins to boot up, with nothing running. It doesn’t appear to have a “My Documents” folder and it didn’t appear to have an “msconfig”. (I copied the msconfig.exe from my win 98 and that seemed to work). Various “rightclick” features don’t seem to work, (such as on the desktop to get properties up). I use, and am familiar with Win98.

Right, that’s the background, now the questions;

Does 2 mins to boot up, with nothing else running, sound long?

Did Win 95 have a “My Documents”folder?

Did it have an “msconfig” feature?

Should I expect right click to work on the desktop?

If I format/reinstall 95, (I have downloaded graphics card driver), should I expect the graphics card to function, before the driver is installed, which I assume is done from within Windows?

Thanks in anticipation,

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 15:25 29 Dec 03

Thats reading back strange! I did a copy and paste from Word... must be a font thing.

I trust it makes sense still!

regards,

Simsy

tbh72 15:26 29 Dec 03

Windows 95 is a gem of an operating system, due to it's dependance on MS Dos it is possible to configure the machine for very fast "office" type applications.

I would have to refer to my notes, but the basic proceedure would be to run "memmaker" and making relevant changes to autoexec & config files. From within W95 setting appropriate Virtual Memory settings...... Oh the joy!!!!!

I don't suppose your anywhere near Norwich!!!!

Simsy 15:32 29 Dec 03

can you offer advice on my graphics card question?

Regards,

Simsy

Mac101 15:33 29 Dec 03

If you haven't got anything valuable on the HDD then I would format the whole thing and make a clean install of Windows - try and get rid of all the stupid games and screensavers and suchlike junk. Cacheman is useful and I suggest that you DL System Mechanic from Iolo to totally clear out the rubbish and stupid stuff.
You will need to instal MSDOS - do this first before thinking about Windows. There are sources of this if you haven't got the original installation discs - email me and I can send you copies; quite legal as now in Public Domain (I believe)

tbh72 15:38 29 Dec 03

Yes the computer will work using default graphic drivers. Whilst in dos mode the computer will appear fine, but once you start the w95 installation you will be dissapointed with the graphics quality. This will be rectified once you've installed your graphics driver.

Simsy 16:08 29 Dec 03

Are you saying that I have to have DOS installed before I can start to install Win 95? Does it not install from the CD as Win 98 does?

My question regarding the graphics drivers was asked because of the fact that the graphics card is either a pci or isa card. I take it this makes no difference?

Thanks again,

Regards,

Simsy

tbh72 16:37 29 Dec 03

Sorry time for me to step off...... ISA is a long black socket, PCI's are generally White or brown.

Diemmess 18:02 29 Dec 03

Be bold, reformat and go for W98SE. (She is your daughter so its "Family" stuff).... My use of 95 was so short that I cannot really remember its pros/cons, but I have had 98 since a very slow Pentium, and sure it is clumsy until configured but so much more "tweakable" than 95 and worth your while......2 minutes is long but Hey,.... 98 should be less, though realistically 70-90 seconds.

Simsy 18:03 29 Dec 03

thanks... I know which are which... it's just that because I now don't have the PC, (my sis has it), I can't lokk inside to see which it is. I did look inside previously, just to check all looked safe, and I noticed that the graphics card wasn't AGP... I just can't remember which it is!

Can anyone answer any of my specific questions... particularly the last one raised about needing to install DOS first?

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 18:06 29 Dec 03

I want to keep this legit..

I have legit Win 95 disc for installation on this machine... and it really is only for word processing. I just want to make it a bit less clumsy for her.

Thanks folks,

regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…