Old PC not booting up

herc182 17:40 11 Oct 09

Dear all,

I have had a desktop PC in the corner of a room for about 1.5-2 years without turning it on. Its not THAT old a PC. It was running windows XP, 2GB ram with an AMD athlon 1667MHz processor.

When I booted up, it asked me to select the speed of the processor which I did. To make sure, I replaced the motherboard battery and restarted again.

When I restart it recognises everything (hard drive, ram and graphics card) then (slowly) goes to the windows xp splash screen. The progress bar shows its loading then all of a sudden, there is a flash of a blue screen of death then it reboots from the start again.

I suspect Windows XP is corrupt but any ideas on whether I could solve it without reinstalling the operating system?

Thanks in advance...something to spice up your sunday :)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:12 11 Oct 09

Will it boot to safemode? if it will then Start-run-type
sfc /scannow
press OK

this will replace any missing or corrupt system files

herc182 18:24 11 Oct 09

It doesnt actually start windows.

The windows load bar shows but then when it SHOULD start windows it just restarts the computer (as if I pressed the restart button on the computer)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:40 11 Oct 09

Could be a corrupt driver

To get into the Windows XP Safe mode, as the computer is booting press and hold your "F8 Key" which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" as shown below. Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode" and press your Enter key.

Note: With some computers if you press and hold a key as the computer is booting you will get a stuck key message. If this occurs, instead of pressing and holding the "F8 key", tap the "F8 key" continuously until you get the startup menu.

herc182 18:46 11 Oct 09

Thanks

I pressed F8 and that menu came up as you described. I started in safe mode but the same thing happened. As its about to actually load windows the computer restarts!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009