Old PC to new PC

loquito 00:14 26 Jul 04

Presently I have a PC with Windows XP Pro. I have built a brand new PC. I want to transfer everything, i.e. O/S, applications, pictures, files, etc from the old PC to the new PC. How can I do this? What steps should I take? What software to use? Help very appreciated.

L

sil_ver 00:21 26 Jul 04

There is a good chance that trying to move an OS to a new PC will create problems, in fact you might not get it to boot to the OS because some of the files will only work on the existing PC so causing conflicts. I suggest you back up anything you want to keep before transferring the HDD and do a complete format and install of the OS on the new PC.

sil_ver 00:24 26 Jul 04

PS: you could always fit the existing HDD to the new PC as a secondary drive and tranfer files from it

loquito 02:28 26 Jul 04

What about copying instead of transfering. My problem is that my old PC was sold to me with Windows NT o/s. Since then I have bought only ungrading Windows CDs, i.e. NT to Windows 2000, then Windows 2000 to Windows XP.

I do not know where is the Windows NT CD (original). My old PC is 'Lexon' a company that went bust.

L

sil_ver 11:18 26 Jul 04

You could try fitting the drive to your new PC and see what happens but I think you will have problems. I can't see any advantage in copying the drive as all you will be doing is replicating the problems you will most likely encounter. I would be tempted to try and pick up a copy of W98se on Ebay or wherever and then upgrade to XP after installing. but you will need another harddrive if you want to save your present files.

loquito 12:57 26 Jul 04

Thank you for your comments. Perhaps I need to buy Windows XP Home and then upgrade to Windows XP Pro.

My new PC has 120 GB of harddrive. What will be your recommendation to partitioning the new harddrive. A friend recommended me to split the HD into three parts: One for the O/S (e.g. Windows XP), the second for all applications (e.g. MS Office, Java, etc), and the third for all my files( e.g. pictures, music, images, etc). I have tried to do this in my old PC but it appears some applications want to sit together with the O/S.

If I am able to partition the HD what are the most recommendable sizes for each of the three?
L

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac