Old pc for Network Attached Storage - what else?

barnettgs 18:52 29 Jun 04

I have old pc with 350mhz, 128mb ram and am planning to buy a new large harddrive for it so it will be used for NAS but there are few things I need to know about.

Will windows 98 fine for it?

Once it is booted up, can I remove the keyboard, mouse and monitor from it so it will be on 24/7 without the need to switch on/off every day?

Can it backup all computers' files (My Documents and Desktop only) automatically?

Is there anything I need to know about making your own NAS device?

barnettgs 21:50 30 Jun 04

No one?

Win98 should be fine for this in my opinion.

For automated backups you could look at the free Replicator software available from Karen Kenworthy
click here
there are lots of other goodies too.

If this PC is on a home network in another room, you could use Real VNC click here to control that machine from your main PC.

Gaz 25 14:13 01 Jul 04

There is nothing special to do that, you are pretty much sorted there.

Im running a few webservers here, no problems and control them directly from Win VNC.

Gaz 25 14:14 01 Jul 04

oh, and I'd try and get 256mb of ram in it too if running it as some type of server.

barnettgs 19:17 01 Jul 04

Pretty useful....is it ok to leave computer (NAS) on all the time with CPU running? Thanks

accord 19:19 01 Jul 04

should be ok to leave the pcs on all the time

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…