Old PC - Help for Modem query

littlestan 11:11 21 Jan 09

Hi - I have been given a pretty sturdy PC from my office as they are upgrading. Its old but good and tough, nice big memory and it comes with XP pre installed. However, I can't connect it to the internet. The office IT chap says there is no modem (which is why when we tried to connect to our BT Hub it said no modem!). Any ideas please as to the easiest way to get round the problem and my freebie connected and up and running? We have broadband via the BT Hub for our lappies and thats fine.

Many thanks everyone
LS

DieSse 11:19 21 Jan 09

You don't need a modem, you need a LAN (also called Ethernet) port. Or if you prefer, a Wireless card, which will enable it to connect wirelessly (statement of the obvious there!).

There very likely is a LAN port - If you look for a sofrt of chunky phone socket (not the BT type of socket - but the sort used internationally, but chunkier). Or look in the hardware details under network adapters.

Control Panel - System - Hardware tab - Device Manager - Network Adapters. If you're in doubt let us know what you find there.

DieSse 11:24 21 Jan 09

Wireless ports come in two types - an adapter that plugs into USB, or a card that plugs inside the computer. Examples

click here

click here

woodchip 11:28 21 Jan 09

As above you need a Ethernet PCI card. or a Wireless Card if you have a Computer you can Connect by cable to the router at the moment

littlestan 11:55 21 Jan 09

Thanks guys. So... if i say get a USB - plug it in and what should i do then... sorry probably best on the absolute beginners forum! Am very grateful for all this help truly.

cream. 12:03 21 Jan 09

The usb adapter should come with a cd. Put the cd in the drive, then follow the instructions and then connect the usb to the computer.

littlestan 12:23 21 Jan 09

Amazing help as always - will be back if any problems! Many thanks everyone - much appreciated
LS x

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…