Old Pc Help ?!?

M4D 22:34 15 Feb 04

Where can i get help with some old hardware?

I have a really old pc that used to have win95 running on it other than that i dont know much about it.

I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction to getting some drivers for it and was wondering what OS you think i should run on it? I have win95 but was wondering if i should run a small linux distribution maybe if the hardware was supported or should i just stick win95/98 on and downoad drivers for that.

johnnyrocker 22:38 15 Feb 04

An old PC is a valuable comodity, you can experiment on it without the worry of screwing up your main machine. I would concentrate on getting it it up and running as is. Any problems doing that, please ask.

Valvegrid 22:56 15 Feb 04

If you put Windows 98SE on and also 98lite it will give it a new lease of life.

click here

I have been using the professional version now for several months and it's been running a dream, very stable, no BSOD, also if the drive is not large you can reduce windows to about 130MB.

Sorry, I'm starting to sound like an advert.

M4D 22:59 15 Feb 04

Naa your not sounding like an advert mate, I did ask for help "You helped" :)

Im just off to readup on 98lite I've head about it but dont know anything about it :~
It's got a 1gig hard drive and 64 meg of edo :~\ so space saving is a must hence why it had 95 on it.

Keep em coming :-)

curlylad 23:32 15 Feb 04

You can get all the information on what drivers you have installed and if there are any suggested upgrades for your PC from this freebie
click here .On the opening page click the download on the left.This will do an inventory of your complete set up and give you any info you may need.
This is your mission if you choose to accept it !

M4D 00:32 16 Feb 04

Another question !

The heatsink and fan doesnt have any thermal paste or even a pad on it ?

Do you think i'll be ok to run it as is or should i put some arctic silver on it ?

I know it's a pretty basic question but if it's been running all this time without anything on it with no problems then would it hurt to just leave it as is ?

sil_ver 01:19 16 Feb 04

I found this a useful prog for an old PC click here

M4D 02:21 16 Feb 04

Thanks,

I dunno yet if it's gonna work co's my old 98 disk is a little scratched and setup wont go past 78% it keeps saying that it cant copy .cab file cos i interupted the install process :~
I have decided to get 98 working then 98lite on it and have a play about see what it can do ;~)

Thanks for your help.
Chris M

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…