old pc freezez st windows98 screan

me20000 12:38 09 May 05

then i have to re boot into safe mode plz is the any1 that could help me as its my my sis lads pc,and he needs it to do homework on thanks,am not v good with pcs

Diodorus Siculus 12:54 09 May 05

Within safemode, go to start, run, msconfig

Under the startup tab, disable most things there.

Restart - if no help, reboot to dos mode and type

scanreg /fix

xania 12:55 09 May 05

I would suspect either a hardware driver problem. There is a facility on boot-up which allows you to install drivers one at a time - this would enable you to spot which driver is giving trouble.

me20000 13:32 09 May 05

thanks 4ur replys,hope this is where i need 2 post back,if not sorry as i am new to this,tried what you suggested,diodorus the only ms-dos i have it says previous version of ms-dos,when i click on that it seems to start up,then it goes to a black screan,xania thanks 4 ur help, there is a driver problem but cant fix due to being in safe mode with out having no cd-rom i am stuck, i dont know how to get the cd-rom bk

me20000 14:36 09 May 05

plz,is there any1 that can help,as i would love 2 give this little boy his pc bk working thanks

woodchip 15:08 09 May 05

You can try it in MS-Dos but do not know if it will work,, Type SCANREG /RESTORE press enter choose a Date older than the problem and press enter

woodchip 15:13 09 May 05

Will not work like that just tried on my 98se computer. You could try starting with windows startup Floppy disc at a:\> type C: it will change to C:\>type CD WINDOWS it will change to C:\WINDOWS> type SCANREG /RESTORE it should now go, Press enter after each time you type something

me20000 18:43 09 May 05

cant acsess floopy drive in safe mode,i dont know y,thanks woodchip

woodchip 19:00 09 May 05

You do not do it in safe mode, you start computer with the 98 startup Floppy in drive

me20000 21:05 09 May 05

oh i see,have not got a 98 start up floppy,but will ask a friend of mine,thanks 4 your help woodchip

woodchip 22:58 09 May 05

You can download one from click here Tenth file from top after you download the file, put a floppy disc in computer and double click on the Downloaded file to create the Startup floppy boot disc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…