Old PC case, suitable for new build?

Mysticnas 12:10 07 Aug 03

Hiya,

Just scavaging around the loft and found an old pc that we brought over a decade ago...

It's a Intel Pentium 900Mhz CPU or was it 90Mhz... anyway... it's pretty old, non branded, it's got a CD drive, and a floppy drive. The case istself i think could possibly be regarded as a full tower as it about maybe a between a half a foot to a foot taller than my Chieftec Scorpian. It's only got 4 5.25" external bays.

The mind boggles as to why such a gigantic case was ever needed!!!???

Anyway, i was wondering, as it's a big case, would i be able to build a new pc into it?

Is there any way or markings or something visual that i can check to see if it's suitable?

If it all is well then i plan to respray the case as it's dull beige colour is all grimey and fading in areas. I think my bro likes british racing green, maybe a trip to halfords will suffice.

Anyway... if anyone can help...

Nas

Lozzy 12:15 07 Aug 03

I doubt that you will be able to use it, as most new mobo's require ATX power.. By the age of the that PC I would doubt it.. New ATX cases are very cheap now a days.

Q-Bie 12:28 07 Aug 03

If its a Pentium 90, then the case is probably an AT case so you won't be able to use it for building a new PC.

If a Pentium 900, then the case itself will probably be fine (ATX), but if the Power Supply is less than 300W it would be advisable to get a new one as modern processors tend to suck up a fair bit of juice, and especially if you're going to have a few addon cards in it as well.

Mysticnas 12:36 07 Aug 03

Isn't that just the he type of power supply?

I'd be refitting the whole thing, just basically keeping the case. New PSU, mobo, CPU, RAM, HDD, CDRW, DVD AGP, Sound card etc....

phoenix_one 12:46 07 Aug 03

If you buy a new PSU of COURSE you can keep the case

A Case is a box

unless you like ones like this

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…