Old Olivetti Laptop odd hard disk format

LancsLad52 17:45 24 Jun 05

I have had problems with an old Olivetti Echos 150S Laptop.I have had to reformat the drive due to a problem with Windows 95 which was on it.The drive now says INVALID SYSTEM DISK when it boots.I did try to re-install Windows 95 over the previous version but it wouldn't do it as it said there it was formatted differently or that their was commpression software on the disk.Can anyone advise me of how this drive should be formatted and where I might get the relavant software from.There is also the problem of reinstalling the Windows 95 CD software as it wouldn't copy over the old installation.Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:06 24 Jun 05

What did you use to format the disk?

Sounds like you have used a boot floppy from an operating system newer than win 95. and have not copied the system files to the harddrive.

Download a win95 boot disk image from click here. create a boot floppy.

boot the laptop from the floppy and select with cdrom support. type format c: /s to format the drive and copy system files to the hard drive then type e:\setup to run the win 95 setup from the cd rom.

woodchip 20:59 24 Jun 05

Window Disc Compression as been used and you can only remove it by using the software. I suspect that DriveSpace as been used to increase Space check hear to Remove click here

woodchip 21:01 24 Jun 05

PS I used this on Win95 it's a Pig to remove, It's got to be done from DOS with a Startup disc

LancsLad52 01:16 26 Jun 05

Hi Fruit Bat and Woodchip, thanks for your advise.I have downloaded the original Windows 95 bootdisk as Fruit Bat suggested and reformatted the drive in FAT16. The boodisk I used originally was a Windows 95 one but the later edition using FAT32. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…