old motherboard, new case

paulie walnuts 23:21 05 Sep 05

i am doing a build using an old dell pIII motherboard with a new case. i cant work out where to put the 4 plugs from the front panel into the motherboard. they are hdd led, power led, power sw and reset sw.i haven't got a clue what model the board is but one feature on it that i've never seen before is the pIII is stood up sticking out sideways. any help would be greatly appreciated.

User-312386 23:39 05 Sep 05

you will find the pins near the edge of the board

usually they are 8 or ten pins

harps1h 23:39 05 Sep 05

it looks like you have what is known as a slot prcessor. it basically looks like a cassette. dell are hard to find manuals for and i would suggest you try a different board. if you want to follow the path you are on try and see if there is even a maker on the board as the details are sketchy. also post up the speed of the processor and ram

LastChip 23:44 05 Sep 05

You have a slot P3 CPU. They weren't very popular and didn't last for long. However, there's nothing wrong with their function.

If your lucky, and you get a magnifying glass, you may be able to see a silk-screened print on the motherboard to tell you where the cable connectors go. The switch and reset leads are not polarised and can go on any way (assuming it's an ATX motherboard and not an AT). The LED's are, but if you get them around the wrong way, it is unlikely any damage will occur. Just the LED will fail to light up. If that's the case, just reverse the connector.

ashdav 23:49 05 Sep 05

click here Download the exe file and install it. It should tell you everything that's installed on your computer. Then you can Google for the mobo etc.

Stuartli 23:52 05 Sep 05

If it is a Slot1 Pentium then the motherboard should have plastic retainers to keep it in place (pretty hefty CPUs).

I used a 550MHz Katmai for a while before getting a Socket 370 1 GB Pentium III and newer mobo; the Katmai was superior to the Celeron 400MHz which preceded it on the same mobo (an Elite P6BXT-A+ which was the first to feature both a Slot1 and Socket 370 capability).

paulie walnuts 00:16 06 Sep 05

its got 15 pins set out 8 at the top and 7 at the bottom like so

0 000000

underneath pin 2 and 3 on the bottom row it says sleep
underneath pin 4 and 5 it says pwr on

i cant really make anything else
out

the processor is a 500mhz PIII and it has 128mb sdram

paulie walnuts 00:18 06 Sep 05

sorry, the row with the gap is at the bottom

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:21 06 Sep 05

The board will have a number on it this will let you Know the make modle and manufacturer. click here

paulie walnuts 13:32 10 Sep 05

cheers, still not getting any where with it any one else got any ideas

DieSse 15:55 10 Sep 05

still not getting any where with it any one else got any ideas

Sorry it's ot possible to guess these things - you'll have to identify the motherboard first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…