Old Laptop using BroadBand

roygbiv 15:48 08 May 06

I have been given an old Hp Omnibook P11 laptop (400mhz, 128 mb )( another memory slot vacant, so a possible upgrade could be done

I am considering connecting it to my Broadband . At the moment my BB is used (mainly) on my desktop (1.9 mhz, 512mb) will there be such a decrease in speed, as to not even consider this?

Diodorus Siculus 15:52 08 May 06

You should not have any problem connecting it up.

In what way are you concerned about a "decrease in speed"?

roygbiv 16:17 08 May 06

When I connected an old 333mhz PC up (addmitedly it was on dail-up, a while ago) I got fed up waiting for pages to load, as I was used to a 1.9mhz PC

Now on BB perhaps this wont happen.

Diodorus Siculus 16:42 08 May 06

It shouldn't be a problem on BB. Get an older version of IE (the one navive to the OS) and you will be ok.

Stuartli 16:46 08 May 06

There would be no decrease in BB speed - minimum spec for most ISPs is given as 200MHz Pentium CPU upwards.

My CD rewriter working at, for instance, 16x writing speed is slightly faster than 2MB broadband downloading.

ruskle 19:20 08 May 06

I sold a friend a Toshiba laptop 4 years ago with a 350 pentium and 64Mb memory.
She upgraded to BB 2 years ago and has no problems using it for shopping sites and even using it via Yahoo to chat to a relation, using the keyboard not a mike, I don't think she has tried that.

mammak 19:28 08 May 06

I had at one time four comps feeding from the same 2mb BB conection now have three on the network connection speeds have all been fine,
just waiting now for my new 6.5mb conection to settle and I am going fly round the net lol.

woodchip 19:33 08 May 06

IT will work at full speed, you should not have any problems if you use a modem router

woodchip 19:36 08 May 06

if they are networked by means of a crossover cable and you have to have both on to the access the net then it will work slower

roygbiv 08:23 21 May 06

My idea is Descktop (with USB modem) with 2mb BB, get a USB network adaptor.....laptop, get a network card, and hopefully it will work

How is it to set it up ?

woodchip 15:02 21 May 06

You are best with a Modem Router if on a Phone line.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…