Old Laptop - updates/software

Hellsbells44 19:07 13 Apr 09

I was given an old Toshiba Satellite 4030 CDS laptop that I want to use to keep some basic stuff on and need Excel, Word and maybe Powerpoint.
I've reformated the hard drive as it had some problems and installed Windows 98SE. I have XP Home and Pro software but it says the these OS are too much for the laptop.
I now need to put some Office software on it but only have Office 2003 and XP Office...again, it says that this software can't be loaded as its not compatable. I can't connect the laptop to the internet but have managed to download some updates (windows 98se Service Pack 2.1a) on to my desktop PC, burnt it to CD and then installed it. Any suggestions on what I can download to allow me to install the office software??
Many thanks!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:48 13 Apr 09

If its an old laptop with little memory then I would suggest you put Linux and open office on it.

Open office supports most MS office files such as word and powerpoint.

Down load and burn yourself a live CD to try on the machine before installing to hard drive.

click here Slax is very east to use

Hellsbells44 20:41 13 Apr 09

Many thanks for your reply Fruit Bat...
I must admit that I've never used Linux before as I'm a bit of a PC novice. I suppose it scares me as it's the unknown to me.

Strawballs 20:54 13 Apr 09

I see whay you meen click here not suitable for anything after 98SE I would go along with Fruit Bat /\0/\ on this one, unless you go with an external drive the 4 gig standard does not leave a lot of room for much.

Strawballs 20:54 13 Apr 09

I see what you meen

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5