Old laptop not booting up

Mr Scone 12:53 21 May 05

Hey there. My sister has an old laptop which she hasn't used for a long time (year or two) but now needs to use again. The problem is that it wont turn on. I've charged the battery (though not sure how long it will last away from mains supply) and have kept it plugged in while I try to turn it on but all that happens when i press and hold the on button is a very short, high pitch squeek and the power button flashes, nothing else.

I'm not sure what is wrong but thinking possibly cmos battery? If it is the cmos, how do I replace this and is it expensive?

AndySD 13:08 21 May 05

What is the make/model?

DieSse 13:10 21 May 05

Try with the battery removed.

Mr Scone 18:43 21 May 05

Sorry I haven't replied sooner (been at work). Make/model = Atlas Flyer 4700. Like I said, it's pretty old and not much use for anything other than word processing but that's what we need it for so it's fine. I think it's about 5 years old (not sure exactly though) and has <400mhz AMD processer and 64mb RAM (if I remember correctly).

DieSse - Tried without battery but still the same.

MS

Mr Scone 18:24 22 May 05

Anyone know what I can do?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:07 22 May 05

"all that happens when i press and hold the on button is a very short, high pitch squeek and the power button flashes"

Unplug the HDD and see if it will boot from a floppy

justme 19:13 22 May 05

A couple of thoughts about your problem.

1. Can you hear the hard disk running. If it has not been used for a while it may not be starting up.

2. Is it possible to boot up the machine from a floppy disk or even a cd?

Don't know what else to suggest apart from giving it a really hard kick (just joking, don't do it).

justme 19:15 22 May 05

Sorry, I did not see your posting when I started to type mine. I must really learn to type faster :-)

Mr Scone 11:45 23 May 05

Not hearing anything apart from the 'squeek'. I'll take out the harddrive and try to find a W98 boot disk from somewhere.

Will get back to you when i've given it a try

MS

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…