Old Laptop needs updating

drennans 13:00 24 Sep 09

Hi All

I have been given an old laptop (IBM T41 Notepad) which was a previous company laptop. The administrator as well as everyone else are no longer around as the company went under, but the laptop works -I just cannot add anything to it. Can anyone advise how I can wipe it and start again?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:51 24 Sep 09

What op system XP pro?

Do you have the windows number on the machine?
Do you have a Windows CD?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:54 24 Sep 09

I expect the company wiped the drives when putting on their own security but:

IBM Thinkpad laptop recovery
To access pre-boot service partition to recover your software:
click here

To access service partition when linux changed F11 function:
click here

To get a Product Recovery CD or DVD:
click here

drennans 16:07 25 Sep 09

Hi Fruit bat

the operating system is XP. There is a CD Drive in the laptop but I cannot even add anythign through that as it is not recognised by the computer - the driver is showing a yellow exclamation mark and wont allow me to do anything with it.

I tried the links you placed above but they went to a redirect site which said they were not available. I don't have the recovery disk either - how would I even go about wiping the system without admin rights?

drennans 16:09 25 Sep 09

Hi Fruit bat

the operating system is XP. There is a CD Drive in the laptop but I cannot even add anythign through that as it is not recognised by the computer - the driver is showing a yellow exclamation mark and wont allow me to do anything with it.

I tried the links you placed above but they went to a redirect site which said they were not available. I don't have the recovery disk either - how would I even go about wiping the system without admin rights? I do have a windows CD but for either a Dell or HP pc.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:40 25 Sep 09

Have a look in the BIOS to see f there is an option to "Unhide" the recovery partition.

click here To get a Product Recovery CD or DVD:

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…