Old Iomega 250 zip (parallel port) version help

Brumas 22:35 08 May 06

I have recently 'un-earthed' my old iomega zip-drive, the 250 parallel port version, along with a few disks in the course of having a clear up of the bottom drawer of my computer desk and I am curious as to what may be on them.

The problem is that my new computer does not have a parallel port - only USB ones. Is there a solution or shall I be forever wondering in vain as to what, if anything useful may be on them?

I contacted Iomega and their solution of course was to buy a 250 USB version !!! Not being made of money I declined as I didn't think 'the light was worth the candle'

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Brumas

Longhouse 22:44 08 May 06

This should do what you need

click here

but you may be able to find something similar for less with a bit of searching.

Diodorus Siculus 22:45 08 May 06

Find a pc that still has a parallel port - they are not that scarce yet. Maybe a friend has one.

Longhouse 22:59 08 May 06

I think that Diodorus Siculus has me trumped there - that would be free!

I'm sat here surrounded by PCs with parallel port and I never thought of the "simple" solution - makes me feel a bit stupid.

Brumas 23:33 08 May 06

Thanks for the speedy responses. I think I will go for the gadget as I have seen a cheapish one advertised on good-old Ebay and I like the fact that, should I want to do a repeat performance I will have the means to do it again easily.

Thanks again

Brumas

Diodorus Siculus 07:45 09 May 06

LEt us know if it works - I had a mixed response with these on parallel printers.

Audeal 11:26 09 May 06

Brumas: I bought one of these cables a few weeks ago for my Zip 100 and It did not work.

I would suggest you go for the other computer to check your discs and save your money.

harfy 12:00 09 May 06

It is cheaper to get an external hard disc (USB)

Brumas 22:17 09 May 06

Reading the latest posts has changed my mind, I think I shall now access another computer with a parallel port just to see what, if anything was on the disks. Then I shall take the old zip drive to the charity shop as I really have no use for it now(the reason it was shoved into the drawer in the first place!)

Thanks to each and all

Brumas

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…