old hdd not showing pictures folder via usb

StuartNickel 14:12 07 Jan 15

Hi all

Last week had to get a new laptop as broke the other one, last one was an HP pavilion running windows 7 pro and this one an HP envy running windows 8.1.

Now the problem being that I took the had out of the old one and now using it as a portable drive in an enclosure, its working great other than I can access my pictures folder and by that I mean its missing not there.

I have run a scan on it and no errors found which I didn't think there would be as its been fine. I can get into everything else like videos, windows, program files and so on but still the pictures folder is missing.

I do recall on my old laptop that the pictures folder did have a padlock symbol on it if that helps, I'm positive that the photos are still there as the memory taken up is the same to what I remember.

Please could anyone give me some guidance as to how to recover the folder but as I stated the rest of the hdd seems to be perfectly fine.

Regards

Stuart

Bris 14:51 07 Jan 15

First thing to do is go into File Explorer (the old Windows explorer) and click on the view tab then put a tick in the "hidden items" box.

StuartNickel 16:08 07 Jan 15

Thanks for reply, tried that to no avail

Bris 16:30 07 Jan 15

Still in File Explorer and the view tab click on the navigation pane top left and click on all boxes so that they are ticked.

Does the pictures library now appear in the navigation pane?

Secret-Squirrel 16:43 07 Jan 15

Stuart, apologies if you think I'm stating the obvious but have looked in the Users\your username folder? That's the default location for Pictures and Music etc.

If that doesn't help then do a search for .jpg files and hopefully they'll be found - including their folder location(s).

StuartNickel 17:36 07 Jan 15

Thanks for the reply both. Bris I will check when I get home and report back. Secret yes I have looked in this folder and all the other user folders like administrator but its not there. All my other files are there but not this one, i have looked for files that I know are in there like my Lumia 930's backup folder but it shows no results. There is no way that it could have been deleted so I know its there somewhere.

Do either of you know if it had anything to do with the padlock symbol that was on it when using it on my old laptop?

StuartNickel 17:36 07 Jan 15

Thanks for the reply both. Bris I will check when I get home and report back. Secret yes I have looked in this folder and all the other user folders like administrator but its not there. All my other files are there but not this one, i have looked for files that I know are in there like my Lumia 930's backup folder but it shows no results. There is no way that it could have been deleted so I know its there somewhere.

Do either of you know if it had anything to do with the padlock symbol that was on it when using it on my old laptop?

Bris 18:10 07 Jan 15

There is a good explanation here.

StuartNickel 19:08 07 Jan 15

thanks bris, I have done what you said or think I have ticked all the options but still nothing. in that link you gave it states that the tick stops anyone else from gaining access to the folder, could this be a reason to why I cant see it as im not allowed access to it?

Bris 19:12 07 Jan 15

This is a longshot but does the account you are logged on as have administrator rights?

My thinking on this is that when you first log on as a user without admin rights you see only those folders that are public. Its possible that on your old laptop you managed to make your pictures folder private (hence the padlock) then when you try to access it on your new computer, as you have a different account and if it doesnt have admin rights, in theory you wont see this folder.

Could be completely wrong and barking up the wrong tree of course.

Secret-Squirrel 19:22 07 Jan 15

Stuart, I doubt very much that the private settings on your old PC have affected your ability to find your Pictures folder on the hard drive now connected to your new one.

Did you try my suggestion about searching the drive for your photos? If you don't know how then open the external drive in a File Explorer window and use "*.jpg" (without the quotes) as the search term - there's more info here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

How to lose weight with an Apple Watch