Old HD in New PC - can't access settings info

2manyusernames 21:48 29 Dec 04

I have put the Hard Drive from my old PC into a new(er)one; it works fine and became the "E" drive. However when I try to open Outlook on it (via Explorer), the version on the "C" drive opens, which doesn't have my address book, accounts and old emails.

I have tried booting the PC from this older drive via the BIOS - no go.

Can't seem to use the Files & Settings Transfer Wizard as it doesn't let you choose the drive.

Any Ideas?

spruce 22:40 29 Dec 04

Import the .pst files from your old version into the new version. That should work.

Happy New Year

VoG II 22:44 29 Dec 04

You may need to take ownership of the files click here

woodchip 22:59 29 Dec 04

If it's a Win98 or WinME it will not work as E:\ It's got to be C:\ for it to boot unless you use some other software that lets you do the above, you are Also may be on NTFS now with your new comp Right, Wrong?

2manyusernames 23:42 29 Dec 04

I should have said; both HD's were running Win XP; the "host" machine is an AMD Duron 800; the older one was a Celeron 633. The host has a 10gb HD which I had to re-install Win XP on, and at that time I re-formatted it to NTFS.

On installing the second (20gb) HD, XP assigned drive "E" to it. I don't think this is NTFS. I've tried getting it to boot from the second HDD in the BIOS but it fails every time. Might this be because (gulp) I didn't "Turn Off" the old machine for the last time, but went into Hibernate mode instead...?

I can't find any .pst files on drive "E", although I seem to be able to access everything via Explorer, I just don't know where to look, or how to get the applications on drive "E" (i.e. Outlook) to run.

Thanks for your help.

woodchip 00:06 30 Dec 04

You need to install a dual boot manager

woodchip 00:07 30 Dec 04

PS the only problem is that your new computer will not know what to make of the drive as Drivers and settings are for a different computer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…