Old external Hard Drive Query

MrSheen 21:28 29 May 07

Evening All

I've had an old 80gb maxtor hard drive sat in an external case for about 6 months. it's not been connected and worked fine the last time i used it. ive plugged it in now and it turns on fine, appears in device manager but not in My Computer. I've tried to get upgraded drivers for it but can't find any that will work.

Anyone point me in the right direction on this?

Thanks
Chris

howard64 21:40 29 May 07

this sometimes occurs when you switch on - if it is usb unplug and try it in another socket. The drive could have been slow starting after y onths and therefore it was not up and running quickly enough for windows to accept it.

SANTOS7 21:42 29 May 07

Right click on my computer
Choose MANAGE
Then find DISK MANAGEMENT
You should see your ext. hard drive under the list.
Right click on it, and choose CHANGE DRIVE LETTER
Choose anything, but I recommand something higher than M:

MrSheen 19:30 30 May 07

thanks for the help so far. I've tried it in all my available usb sockets and i've tried using Computer Management to assign it a letter. It doesnt appear on the list, even after refresh/rescan. But it's showing under Device Manager fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks again.
Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…