//some 3rd party need geo

Old Excel CDROM to run with XP?

stoner 11:58 10 May 03

Hi Can anyone help me?
I am trying to register my old MS Office/Excel CD ROM with my new XP but it keeps asking me for my 25 figure registration number which I don't have and didn't need to run it on my ME systems!
Any ideas?

Forum Editor 12:20 10 May 03

you can't install MS Office without having the CD key - unless it's a very early version of Office.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'register' - do you mean you are trying to install Office from the CD, but don't have the CD key?

stoner 15:28 10 May 03

Yes that is what I mean! and several of your Helpline correspondents have already told me on earlier threads that they have happily run Excel/Office on XP so why can't I?

do you still have it on your me system if so open excel go to help on the menu bar click about the number is there.

VoG™ 15:42 10 May 03

That is the Product ID, not the Key.

The Key should be on the back of the CD jewel case.

jazzypop 16:16 10 May 03

Just contact Microsoft - click here

siouxah1 18:40 10 May 03

If you still have the programme loaded and running.

Download AIDA32. Install AIDA32, run the programme, select software - licences - and you should find the Key you require. This is the CD key and not the product ID.

Regards Brian j

stoner 20:21 10 May 03

siouxah1, this sounds wonderful but what is AIDA32? and where do I find it?

VoG™ 20:24 10 May 03

click here

Don't get your hopes up - this gives my Windows Key but not Office Key. Other users report that it does - a mystery.

stoner 21:54 10 May 03

thanks VoG,
I have already tried AIDA32 and it didn't come up with a 25 digit registration key.
But .......
I searched on the Office CD ROM and in a little Notepad file called "Licence" it had a long rambling number of 32 digits which I will try.
Failing that I suppose I could copy the Excel.exe file across (7MB) on CDR.

VoG™ 21:57 10 May 03

"I suppose I could copy the Excel.exe file across (7MB) on CDR"

Sorry, that won't work. Office programs, and Excel in particular, scatter files all over your HDD. Plus there have to be the correct registry keys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…