Old DVD writer - new problem

Maturin 22:39 07 Oct 05

Hopefully you can help with this problem:

My PC has been rebuilt (Athon 64 - XP Pro SP2-1GB RAM - nVidia 6600 PCI-E) and the old HP dvd 200j writer has been retained but this now seems a false economy. I cannot install the 1.72 version driver because (a) the machine is no longer in the HP Pavilion it originally came in, and (b) I do not have the original RecordNow program because I never had an installation disc for the dvd writer with the original machine.

I am now using Nero 6 Reloaded (upgraded from the OEM Suite bundled with the machine) which I guess would write DVDs if only the computer recognised DVD in the drive. It does not - they are flagged as CD's only. My DVD ROM games play OK however; albeit reagrded by the PC system as CD-ROM, UDF system.

My questions: (1)Is there a generic dvd driver system that I can flash my drive with? (2) If not, is it worth my while getting an installation CD for the DVD writer (where from?)? (3)Should I cut my losses, and purchase a newer, faster, more versatile drive?[I like this option the best, but my wife does not!)

If (3) above, can you recommend a dvd writer which is compatible with Nero 6 (soon to be 7) which is at least +R/RW and possibly DVD-RAM too? My budget is around £50; obviously a bare drive would be suitable; a triple format drive would be nice I suppose including DL support. Suggestions where to purchase said drive would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Maturin

PC Bilbo 23:27 07 Oct 05

Try this site click here

keith-236785 07:31 08 Oct 05

in nero, you have the option to choose the recorder to use, i have two dvd writes and a choice of 5 settings,

1, nec dvd rw

2, nec cd rw

1 & 2 are the same drive.

3, LG DVD RAM rw

4, LG cdrw

3&4 are the same drive

5, Image recorder (dont know which one it is as it seems to work on either drive)

at the top of the nero express window, there is a drop down box where you can select the drive option you want, choose DVD and it should then recognise & allow you to write a dvd

keith-236785 07:47 08 Oct 05

no drivers should be needed in xp pro, they werent for my drives. in fact cd drivers havent been used since win98 days. (and only then during the windows install process)

if you choose to buy a new one it will cost about £30 - £50 depending where you get it from.

if you are going to pc world, go online first, choose the drive you want, purchase online (you dont actually purchase it, more like reserving it like Argos), print out the reservation, take it to pcworld, get the drive from the shelf, take it to the cash desk and give them the printout, you WILL save money (you will pay the website price not the instore price) i save £20 when i bought mine. pcworld dont tell you this but i have a friend who works for them so i get to find out little bits of useful info.

LG - 16X DUAL FORMAT DOUBLE LAYER SUPER MULTI INTERNAL DVDRW
(239205) is £59.99 in store but using the method above, would cost you £45.98 saving £14

other suppliers are cheaper but watch for delivery charges, click here are very reasonable

LG GSA-4167SB 16x DVD±RW Dual Layer Internal IDE (Silver) - OEM £32.89 inc vat+del = £37.35 but you wont get it till 17th oct (super saver)

pj123 11:08 08 Oct 05

I have the LG 4163 which is dual layer, multi format (including DVD-RAM) Very good unit. I am using the latest Nero 6.6.0.16, no problems at all.

click here

I got mine from Ebuyer but they seem to be out of stock, possibly because this unit superceded by the LG 4167 click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:26 08 Oct 05

On the first nero screen, top left, check the box says DVD, not CD.

Maturin 14:49 08 Oct 05

Everyone

I shall try the suggestions to see if I can get my drive performing properly. paperman27 - thank you for the info re: PC WOrld Online as this may be useful for future purchases!

Maturin

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…