Old DoS Programmes

HondaMan 11:06 18 May 05

I apologise in advince if this topic has been covered before.

I have an old word processor programme, "Protext" which ran under DOS. I am trying to convert some old documents, created in Protext but I keep running into GPFs whatever I do and I think that this is probably graphics card related.

I do recall that sometime back drivers for Windows which enabled a simulation of the old Vesa graphics cards, which, in turn enabled programmes which used them to run under Windows were discussed on the forum and I believe that some were even available, but I cannot locate them.

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks.

TomJerry 11:47 18 May 05

Use "Open", under "File Type" pull down menu, select "Recover Text from any File (*.*)", then you can at leat get all text even all formats are lost

TomJerry 11:52 18 May 05

Running Protext under Windows XP

When Protext is run under Windows XP it fails with an error like this:

error code = 0000

Note that the other applications (Config, Convert, Fsort) work fine.

The reason for this appears to be that the DOS emulation in Windows XP has changed in some way that is incompatible with the 32 bit memory extender that Protext uses to access extended memory. Optimists can hope that this may be fixed by an XP service pack, but I doubt that Microsoft will consider it a priority.

Fortunately, there is a way to use Protext under XP and that is to use the 16 bit version of Protext. This has all the same features but does not use extended memory. However this does not matter much now – any computer running Windows XP will have plenty of memory for the swap file and fast hard disks for virtual memory so the 16 bit Protext works well.

Download Protext.exe (16 bit version)click here

click here

HondaMan 12:32 18 May 05

Many thanks TomJerry. I can now recover my lost files and re-save them in word.

Again, Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…