Old desktop struggles to compete with son's laptop

earthlover 13:46 27 Jul 10

Hi all,

My Advent 3207 desktop really struggles when connecting to and surfing the internet when my son uses his vista laptop at the same time.
I sometimes have to wait 30 minutes from booting up to getting onto my homepage!

I am thinking of trying to add more RAM myself although I would have to follow instructions, but my husband says that would be a waste of money and I should get a new Laptop.

I would welcome thoughts from the computer literate as to best thing to do.

Here are my desktop's vital statistics as revealed by a software program I downloaded:

Advent 3207
MS Windows XP Home 32-bit SP3
CPU - Intel Pentium 4
Motherboard - TriGem ( WMT478/NWD)
Graphics - CY-465 1024x768 64MB NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
Hard Drive - 39.1GB Seagate ST340810A (IDE)
Optical Drive - Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-308B
Audio - SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

Thanks for any advice.

gengiscant 14:00 27 Jul 10

I think I should go with the husbands suggestion.
Although you do not mention ram, I have a notion the desktop will not have much,you have a very small harddrive,a basic graphics card.

Go for a new laptop. Though the internet speed or lack is another problem.

northumbria61 14:03 27 Jul 10

Put your money towards a new laptop.

earthlover 14:03 27 Jul 10

I forgot to mention that I use ccleaner to keep my computer tidy and defrag it regularly. I have an external hard drive to help free up space. Currently have about 16gb free, but constantly get message saying virtual memory too low.

Thanks again for advice.

earthlover 14:06 27 Jul 10

Gengiscant

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry thought I had lissted everything. Ram is 256MB @132Mhz (3-3-3-6).

As you say very small!

earthlover 14:09 27 Jul 10

Our broadband speed is good. About 16 meg download speed. But my son seems to take most of it. I wondered if my desktop had more RAM it would be able to compete better.

onthelimit 14:14 27 Jul 10

That amount of RAM is far too low, but it depends what your machine can support. If you want to keep using the PC rather than go for a lappy, you could run the Crucial scanner to see what can be used and the cost click here

compumac 14:14 27 Jul 10

26MB very, very little. Lots more memory would help if you have the necessary slots. Try accessing crucial.com to see their recommendations and costs for extra RAM. Fairly easy to fit.

onthelimit 14:15 27 Jul 10

P.S. RAM will make a huge difference to the speed of opening programmes on your machine, but I can't see why it would change the download speed of the internet.

Batch 14:27 27 Jul 10

At a guess I'd say that your PC is around 8 or 9 years old and, by today's standards, it will always struggle. Throwing money at it will likely only make a marginal difference.

One of the problems you will likely run into is that websites have become more and more sophisticated with rich graphics content that not only requires good braodband, but also a powerful enough PC to handle it.

Having said that, you should be able to pick up a 512MB strip of memory for not much than a fiver on ebay and it is the one thing that might be worthwhile doing.

earthlover 14:46 27 Jul 10

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. I'm looking at new laptop scenario now and have just seen the new Apple Mac Mini desktop which sounds brilliant!

Would anyone know if an Apple Mac desktop would be compatible with a Vista laptop in terms of a home network, or is it better to get a Windows 7 or Vista laptop?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant