old desktop no sound

chinaplate 09:58 18 Jul 09

i'v just aquired an Evessham tower desktop from a local charity with 256 ram and windows xp installed.all's seem's well apart from no sound.though old it's ideal for spare room game playing/word proc etc.all help and advise would be welcome.

recap 10:44 18 Jul 09

You may have to update the sound driver if there is no sound at all even from headphones.

To do this Right Click 'My Computer' and select 'Manage' open 'Computer Management' click 'Device Manager' expand 'Sound, video and games controller' right click on the device required and select 'Update driver'.

chinaplate 11:14 18 Jul 09

hi:got onto Hardware update wizard.then this 'the wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed.'!
ie legacy audio codecs
and legacy audio drivers

Les28 12:01 18 Jul 09

If it's an on board sound card might be worth checking in the BIOS to make sure onboard sound is enabled.

chinaplate 19:19 18 Jul 09

not sure how to get into bios.i tried esc to f1 to f12 with no success.i did notice in device manager yellow ? mark against multimedia audio controller.

rdave13 19:55 18 Jul 09

Try Everest Home, it's on old program but should identify your sound card so you can search for driver. click here

Les28 23:00 18 Jul 09

Have you tried tapping the Del key at switch on to access the bios?
Mightn't be a bad idea to run Everest and check your motherboard name then download the board manual from the motherboard manufacturer, will explain what to look for in bios in case it's an onboard sound system, that may have been disabled.
You could also click Start, then Run, type dxdiag then OK and have a look at the Sound tab as well as checking in Everest.
Have you tried right clicking the multimedia audio controller in device manager and left click properties.

chinaplate 19:47 19 Jul 09

hi:thanks for help and advice.i think the sound is just the tip of the ice berg with this unit as the old thing is switching off every so often now.not to worry i'v seen a book on assembling your own pc and it'll be a good fun pastime hunting down and installing bits and pieces,at least the windows xp o/s looks ok.thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…