Old Dell PC cant changehard drive????WHY???

BIGBAGGY 19:23 07 Oct 03

I have an old DELL PC it is a P2 400 PENTIUM. I tried to change the hard drive but it wont recognise the new drive. I tried a 40 gig and a 4 gig but neither will work. Both the drives are ok cos I formatted them in another PC to check. The chasis of the DELL has a button to detect changes or attempted changes but I v'e checked the BIOS and nothing there seems to be connected. What would cause the drives not to work? Is there a solution? I have tried the drives on both IDE slots on the motherboard. The CD ROM still works so its not a fault as such. I have swapped around the drives and the CD ROM

BarryKeith 19:43 07 Oct 03

click here I have found them to be very helpful, just find the numbers that are attached to the computer and they will have all the info at hand.

Greenfingers 19:52 07 Oct 03

Have the ribbon cables been connected correctly and the jumper pins on the drives placed as masters?
You could try cable select settings with the jumpers to see if the bios picks them up.
If you know the drive parameters you could enter these directly into the bios with user defined.
I would be surprised if you could format the 40 gig without using an overlay because of the age restrictions of the bios.
More information would be helpful.
ie what makes are the hard drives?
Have you attempted drive overlays from software produced by the drive manufacturers?
What type of bios is it and what age?

minter 19:58 07 Oct 03

What operating system are you using?

Is the OS you have W95?

Was the original HD split into 2gb drives. If so you will find that unless you do the same for your new HDs they will not be recognised.

W95 only allowed up to 2gb drive size. If you want your drives to be bigger go for W98 (the SE version is best).

wiznyme 20:31 07 Oct 03

A lot of old bios's have a problem seeing hard drives larger than 8gb.

Check Dell's website for a bios upgrade.

BIGBAGGY 21:16 07 Oct 03

I cant mail them I tried but I need a service tag and there isn't one.
There is no PS as I cant get the drive in.
"Have the ribbon cables been connected correctly and the jumper pins on the drives placed as masters" YES

What are drive overlays?

minter 10:23 08 Oct 03

If you have a Dell computer the service tag is on the back panel of the computer case.

It is a five digit code comprising letters and numbers, ie. AB7XY

BIGBAGGY 11:26 08 Oct 03

minter this computer is years old there are no stickers left on it. I checked everywhere.

minter 23:42 10 Oct 03

Try formatting the 4gb drive into 2 x 2gb drives, C and D.

Install your OS on Drive C.

See if that gets you going.

I think your 4gb drive will be a Maxtor, if it is you can download "Maxblaster" from the Maxtor website - it is the best thing since sliced bread for formatting/partitioning a drive.

If your 40gb drive is a Maxtor then you can do the same with that.

You do not say what OS system you are using.

graham√ 00:00 11 Oct 03

Maxblast3 is the one.

graham√ 00:02 11 Oct 03

PS. please cut down on the ????

It makes the site untidy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…