old dell 8200

flowergirl914 20:54 17 Nov 06

i am interested in a new desktop mine is slowly dying. prices have come way down since i bought this one. what would be best for me? i dont need a power house, i like to play my games and shop etc. any ideas? thanks flowergirl

sean-278262 21:01 17 Nov 06

click here
click here

any of the lower end computers in this lot should play most older games if they ran on the dell. £189 will get you a tower and you can keep your monitor speakers and kboard and mouse. That should do you for most things really.

phil46 21:02 17 Nov 06

Try Novertech i've had computers from them all work well with no problems you can even get a bare bones kit and put it together your saves pounds.
click here

Jackcoms 21:17 17 Nov 06

In what way is your old Dell 8200 dying?

I use a 5-year old Dell 8200 and it is by no means dying.

Perhaps it just need some regular, basic PC housekeeping? What is your housekeeping routine?

bretsky 00:06 18 Nov 06

Yes Agree with Jackcoms, I Run a 5 year old Dell 4300 Dimension, a clean install was done 6 months ago, new 20" wide screen purchased last month......no need to upgrade, runs like new, regular scans and generally good pc housekeeping should keep you machine in good running order.

bretsky ;0)

Jackcoms 07:31 18 Nov 06

Try this before spending your money:

Back-up all your important files.

Do you need all the software installed on the PC? If not, un-install all those programs you don't use (come off line and disable your anti-virus before un-installing).

Then, to tidy up the registry and get rid of any leftovers from the un-installs, use RegSeeker 1.45 (this is an older version because I find the latest 1.52 a bit 'harsh') and CCleaner click here

Then, disable System Restore (you'll lose all your restore points) and do full scans with your anti-virus and anti-malware programs.

Re-enable System Restore and re-boot.

Defrag the HDD.

Jackcoms 07:32 18 Nov 06

Oops. Forgot the RegSeeker link! click here

flowergirl914 15:16 30 Aug 07

thanks to all who replied to my problem with my computer. flowergirl914

woodchip 15:41 30 Aug 07

Don't forget your games may not run on the new comp

woodchip 15:43 30 Aug 07

Are you on 98se or WinME?????

flowergirl914 15:52 30 Aug 07

what do you mean by basic housekeeping for the computer? am i supposed to open something on the tower? please explain thanks flowergirl

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…