old computers

logrin 15:05 03 Jan 05

I want to get rid of an old computer, is there any freeware program available to permantly remove the contents of the hard disk or should I just takre it out and scratch it.
logrin

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:14 03 Jan 05

Format the hard drive and donate the computer to a local charity.

But if your really worried about hard drive content then click here

stalion 15:15 03 Jan 05

I have a 14lb hammer you can use or if you prefer try this and a happy new year click here

woodchip 15:15 03 Jan 05

Just format the Hard Drive unless you got info on about making Nuk bombs

JIM 15:20 03 Jan 05

If you really believe that there is information on the old systems drive that would be of any use to anyone or cause you a problem.Take it out and destroy it.Otherwise just format the drive etc.

Cost a lot of time and money for anyone to take the action to restore a drives information if formatted.

See you have replies. Slow typing to day.:)

spanneress 15:23 03 Jan 05

I recycle old PC's for charitable causes and beleive me..whilst I am grateful for any old HDD left in the machines, I do not have the time or energy to go looking for other peoples data (or the lack of integrity). Charity shops often are loathe to take them due to electrical / sale of goods etc red tape. There are plces who will collect if you search on line.

Just format the disc and you will be fine and have started off the new year doing a good deed!

TamiZ 15:28 03 Jan 05

I too have an old computer with all its bits and bobs (Windows ME) and in good workijng order. I have reformatted the HD and reinstalled the OS. Does anyone know where I can go to offert this computer to a charity or for distribution to part of the "third world" who may want it?

spanneress 15:31 03 Jan 05

try here click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:01 03 Jan 05
  flecc 17:43 03 Jan 05

If you have a small home network, with other family members for example, you can always use the free Smoothwall program to turn your old computer into a hardware firewall for the network and enjoy the superior protection from Internet "nasties" that the big companies enjoy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…