old CD's

kingkenny 17:24 19 Jul 03

I have a ever growing pile of free CD's and old CDs with AOL free trials or Tiscali. The majority, i am afraid to say, come from this very magazine and although I am grateful for the free utilities i find I have no real use for them once these are installed.

I believe in doing our bit for the environment and hate to just discard these CD's in the trash.
Can anyone make any suggestions as what can be done with the multitude of CD's that i have? Surely they can be recycled by someone, somewhere, somehow.

Or should i just visit futureforests.com and put my mind to rest by donating a tree? click here

Bargee 17:31 19 Jul 03

I have heard that the reflectivity of CDs is beneficial to some groups of disabled children. They stick them onto walls, make mobiles etc. to help the kids to focus their attention.

Try contacting your local Health Authority or the Charities Commision who may be able to point you in the right direction.

Better still, there must be someone else in this helproom who might actually know what I'm talking about & be able to tell you exactly the types of bodies who utilise CDs in this way.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:32 19 Jul 03

Google is your friend......click here

G

kingkenny 17:40 19 Jul 03

Good old google, never fails

Not sure they are the best solutions. I have cork mats anyway and think cds lying over tables just looks silly.

Bargee- those are good ideas so may check that out.

But surely there is some local-type authority or organisation that handles the vast amount of free CD's that go into circulation with each issue of a PC magazine.

Could the PCA editors on this site comment on this and their responsibility to the environment?

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:44 19 Jul 03

Could the PCA editors on this site comment on this and their responsibility to the environment?
....only when you comment on your responsibilities regarding use of car, electricity and rubbish ;-))))

G

kingkenny 17:54 19 Jul 03

For your information Gandalf:

I recycle all my paper including past copies of PCA. I recycle glass, plastic, steel and food waste. I use power saving bulbs and pick up litter outside my house. I hardly use my car prefering to walk. I even today visited the above site i referenced and bought a tree to cover the last trip i made with my girlfriend to Majorca. A tree will be planted in an Aberdeenshire forest in my name. So i think i sleep quite soundly at night, thank you very much.

Please forgive me gandalf if i, like use, use my computer and consume electricity. (hint of sarcasm!)

palinka 19:24 19 Jul 03

I use unwanted CDs as bird scarers to protect fruit bushes. Hang then on a string & the flashing light as the sun catches them does the trick. Lots of my friends do the same.

wee eddie 20:19 19 Jul 03

I am stacking them. Currently the pile is just short of a metre. When it reaches 5 metres, it will be sent to the Tate,

entitled

Babel!

kingkenny 22:19 19 Jul 03

Palinka, that sounds like a fantastic idea!!

Wee Eddie, i love it, with a few more CD's, who knows, your art work may be work £20,000 and a Turner prize!

anyone else have inspired uses for all the cd's we accumulate through our devotion to PC mags?

keep 'em coming!

Cheers

Giantsquid 23:10 19 Jul 03

Maybe this will help,

click here

Gandalph 23:56 19 Jul 03

I make Quartz clocks out of mine and sell them. The money goes to the RSPCA and the RNLI. Very easy to make and easier still to sell.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…