//some 3rd party need geo

Old Black & White Photos

ordep 10:49 19 Jan 05

I've some old black & white photos I'd like to clean up, do away with the cracks etc.
Can any one recommend a program for said task. If its a free one, then all the better.

JoeC 11:06 19 Jan 05

at present. I upgraded from Photosuite 3 which you can buy on Amazon for £7.99. It is easy to use and quite powerful.

Border View 12:07 19 Jan 05

I've used Photo Suite III for sometime. I've been able to work on old black and white photos quite successfully. I'm only an amateur but got some impressive results. For £7.99 I would go for it (I paid over £30 a couple of years ago)

ordep 12:24 19 Jan 05

Thanks for the info, looks like Photo Suite III should suit me fine, although I see its for Win 95/98. Will it be ok on XP do you know. Theres a £4.99 version there as well I see.
click here

Newuser3068 12:39 19 Jan 05

Pretty well any photo editing software will have the necessary tools for this relatively simple job. I presume you have a scanner (otherwise how are you going to copy the old photos?!). Did your scanner not come with a simple photo editing package? Most of them do.
Otherwise - do you read computer magazines? if so (and assuming you keep the cover CD's) root around in your old cover CD collection, and I reckon you're bound to find a photoediting package on one of them.

Tycho 12:44 19 Jan 05

I use Paitn shop Pro 8. I know it's not free but it is not extortionate like PhotoShop. I bought mine through Amazon for about £40 IIRC. It does absolutely everything that I could possibly want and much more than that. /there is plenty of backup from the SW house (JASC) and a forum for discussion.

T

JoeC 13:58 19 Jan 05

for Win98 - XP. £9.99 at Amazon

FelixTCat 16:01 19 Jan 05

Try Gimp for Windows. It is a very powerful program used mainly on Linux but has been ported to Windows. It is as powerful as Photoshop. It has a rather quirky interface but, when you get used to it, it will do pretty well anything you want. Download it from: click here

Its homepage is : click here which is useful for reference

Rubroy 16:35 19 Jan 05

I have restored dozens of old family photos dating back to c. 1880 with total success using Paint Shop Pro. Originally I used PSP 5 which was quite adequate. Now I use version 7 which is still two grades below the current issue but it is superb. I believe I remember PCA offering a limited edition on a disc some while back. Whatever, if you are serious about the work you want to do, go for the best you can afford as this will allow you to progress to other editing tasks. The only competition to my mind is Adobe Photoshop which is a lot more expensive but won't do much more for basic correction work. Photoshop Elements is readily available and will also do the job perfectly. Good luck - its fascinating work!

BT 17:50 20 Jan 05

Goto click here where you can download all of Serif's programs albeit not the latest versions. The main thing is they are FREE and perfectly useable.

johnnyrocker 17:56 20 Jan 05

why not click here for a freebie which may resolve your issues.

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…