Old 486 Floppy Drive Wont Switch Off

On start up the floopy disc drive starts. I get the error message [DRIVE NOT READY] [ Insert Boot Discette In Drive A.] Have tried new drive and it is still the same, suspect Data Cable or FDC is at fault. Or is it possible to be in the Bios setup

justme 19:37 23 Feb 04

Have you just reinstalled the drive?

It sounds to me like the cable is inserted the wrong way round. This leaves the light on the drive always on and the drive unusable.

Cable can only go in one way tried this first the light is on and the drive running.

justme 19:57 23 Feb 04

It's a long time since I worked with 486 computers and I cannot remember what the cables look like, but I seem to remember that there was a twist in certain wires. Have you tried swapping the cable round so that the end which was in the floppy drive is in the main board.

There should be a coloured wire (usually red) along one edge of the cable and this should be attached to pin 1 at each end. The pins are usually marked on the main board and also on the floppy drive.

Tried cables again both ways no joy, This was my first very basic computer that has some marine charts in Dos that I have been going to transfer for years and never got round to, the problem being the machine done a good job and I liked it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…