Ok, where do I start?

lodger 17:33 31 Dec 04

I want to upgrade my old 233 mmx pc with it's AT case and 2MB Video card, but doing it myself, and keeping the bits which I have already updated.
I don't do gaming, just word processing and Internet, so I probably don't need a super fast CPU, just a modern one.
When I look at shop offers, they always include stuff that I don't need, such as :

HD//CDRW/FDD/OS/Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse/Modem.

Also, I love the idea of building something for myself, so, where do I start?
cheers

ACOLYTE 17:42 31 Dec 04

To be honest most of todays cpu's wouldnt work that well with your pc as a 233 mmx system is quite old copmpared with todays pc's,you may be better getting a new pc package witch you could get for say £200 or building the one you wont,depending on the hardware/software for £500
that would get you a pc nearly 4/5 times faster than the one you have now.I assume it a pentium 233mmx.

Dorsai 17:43 31 Dec 04

You need to decide how much you want to spend before anything else. then:

Do you want a DVD re-writer, or will a CD-RW do?

Do you want sound?

What OS will you use?

What parts in the current PC do you hope to re-use?

At a guess you will need new:

case

PSU

CPU

Main-Board

Ram

GFX card

Optionsally:

HDD

Optical drive

Sound card.

Halmer 17:43 31 Dec 04
  PUNKA 17:44 31 Dec 04

Type build your own pc into the search facility on the top left of the main page,if you need more help after all that, post bachk here.

961 17:47 31 Dec 04

Where do you start?

click here

Seriously, don't try to upgrade. A much better idea is to build a new one. You don't need cutting edge

961 17:49 31 Dec 04

sorry, try...

click here

AndySD 17:53 31 Dec 04

How about click here you can use your Hard drive and cd and floppy from your present pc. You will also need a new case with a power suply. You will need to format your hard drive and reinstall your operating system (you will lose all your data) or get a new drive and install the operating system on it then attach your old one as a slave drive (keeping all your data which you can move off the slave drive to the new one.

spuds 20:37 31 Dec 04

Having upgrading and modified three older type computers, I have now decided never again, it just ain't worth it.

Fitting new to old, getting each item to work ideally together, then the time and cost. Okay if you want to learn and play around, but at the end of the day you will still have an old product with an uncertain future. Best to buy a new computer system with a good warranty and aftercare facility. There are many low budget deals on the market, which will give you a first rate machine with a few years of usage.

What I would suggest,is that you find the items that you think would be suitable, check the prices on say ebuyer. See how that compares with a new system with a future lifespan and warranty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…