ok to run spybot and spyware blaster together

dfghjkl 21:40 04 Oct 03

and ad aware 6 and free zone alarm also running norton 2003,i have got my xp firewall off,my system is yery unstable,i have to reset it 4 times on boot up to get it going,and sometimes crashes playing games (about 1 in 10 times)i run all of the above and the usual norton and xp tools as often as poss but no differance,i blame the kids,they loaded kazaa lite,i removed it kazaabegone etc but i am left with an unstable system i also got the worm virus last month so it is time for the big one,i am backed up ready for it but i need to know if i should run all of the above programms or are they contributing to my crashes by running them all together?i have just learnt that i can not run AVG with norton,so i thought i should check with the experts.thanks

TommyRed 21:49 04 Oct 03

Well I run Spyware blaster, Spybot and Ad-aware without any problems but I'd be interested to know everythings ok to continue. TR

MAJ 21:52 04 Oct 03

Yes it's okay to run them all together, just don't run two Anti-virus packages or two Firewalls at the same time.

LastChip 22:07 04 Oct 03

It is unwise to run more than one anti-virus program, and particularly, Norton and AVG do not like each other.

Certainly with AVG, I have had no problems running Spybot, Spyware Blaster, Spyguard, Adaware, and Zone Alarm together.

It may be worth looking at your Start Up programs, and disabling them all. Now boot-up and see if there is still a problem. If not, add one program at a time to your start up folder, testing each time, to see if you still have a stable system. Once it becomes unstable, you have very likely identified the problem program and can then try to do something about it. Either scrap it altogether, or see if it is a known problem and (maybe) a fix exists.

If (after disabling the start up programs) you still have an unstable system, then it is the system itself, and you have to look at different solutions to the problem. This may involve up-dated drivers and suchlike, but more on that if it becomes necessary. It would also be prudent, to run a system anti-virus scan (with the latest definitions) in case this is the result of a trojan or worm for example.

If I had to take a bet on where the problem lay, I would pick Kazaa, as in my experience, this program causes more problems than enough!

keenan 22:08 04 Oct 03

No problems running all three together.

Xp,s own (limited) firewall will of course work quite happily with another, but as MAJ says you run
two independents together.

keenan 22:14 04 Oct 03

'Don,t run two independents together'

Kazaa is defintely something i would not have on my system and getting rid of it is never that easy.

barryoneoff.co.uk 23:16 04 Oct 03

all at the same time. Never had a problem. (But I know a man who has).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…