OK to extend my RJ11 Home Hub connection cable?

Pineman100 15:12 06 Nov 14

My broadband is BT Infinity, via a BT Home Hub 5. My PC runs Windows 8.1.

The Home Hub is currently connected to the main phone socket with an RJ11 cable about 3 metres long. I want to move the Home Hub to better location in the centre of the house, which would involve adding a 5 metre extension RJ11 cable to the existing one.

Is this likely to significantly degrade the speed of my internet connection?

All advice and thoughts gratefully received!

Bris 15:24 06 Nov 14

As the price of 5 metres of cat 5e cable is little more than a cup of coffee then its probably worth just giving it a try.

A 5 metre extension shouldnt have any effect on speed, the thing to consider is whether its going to be a permanent fixture in which case solid core cable is cheapest, but you will have to put the plugs on yourself, or whether a pre built 5 metre flying lead would suit you better.

Either way the cable run should be kept away from all other cables especially mains cables

Bris 15:34 06 Nov 14

Sorry Pineman100 didnt read your post properly.

I would try a 6 metre extension cable (around £3 on ebay) together with a back to back connector for around £1.

Jollyjohn 15:47 06 Nov 14

This should be fine, my only comment would be, ensure you are connected to your master BT socket. (This is usually one with a split faceplate that if you remove you find a test socket behind.) If you are not using your master socket then you are extending an extension and might lead to loss of speed.

VCR97 19:04 06 Nov 14

My cable is 15 metres. A few metres at the end of the run from the exchange isn't going to make any difference. As stated above, use good quality cable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant