ok for credit card details on line?

dfghjkl 23:37 11 Nov 03

is it safe to buy from a reputable store by credit card on line? i am about to make my first on line payment(eclipse computers or savastore,not sure yet)half the people at work say ok and half say no way.my card is covered by a payment protection plan so i am covered for theft,and i think fraud,but what do you expirienced buyers say?

VoG II 23:41 11 Nov 03

Yes it is "safe". Well, safer than giving your card to a server in a restaurant etc. I've been buying online for several years with no problems.

Just be careful not to click any buttons twice - it can take a while to register your transaction.

mark e 23:41 11 Nov 03

if the site has secure method for payment, enter details and click away i have for three years with no problems.

Mark E

Rtus 23:45 11 Nov 03

I deal with DC/CC online ,,Usually Ok to do so but do remember that if you get mails (or phone calls ) to divulge your details Even if they appear to be from the vendor ..DONT.. The payment protect has a lower & higher limit so check them ..(usually anything under £100 not covered) Ive recently paid directly into an account On line banking allows this Instant transfers..So no numbers are given out to anyone..

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:08 12 Nov 03

Ther eis never any need to worry. If you are shafted the CC companies will reimburse you double quick.

G

spuds 00:22 12 Nov 03

Just make sure that the site you use,as the usual safeguards for c/c internet transactions. HTTPS and Locked Padlock,plus information of transfer to a secure site etc.If it as these things, then everything should be fine.I have used both Eclipse[Coventry] and Savastore[Watford Electronics], both are secured.

If you are still unsure, before you make a 'first time' purchase, see if the company as a telesales number, and ask questions there.

Totally-braindead 01:37 12 Nov 03

I agree with the others. Credit cards are the only way to buy online. I've used mine for about 4 years now, but unlike the others I did get caught out. A mystery transaction appeared on my credit card statement for £500 to some company in Jersey that I'd never even heard of. But as Gandalf has said you get the money back from the credit card company no problem if something like this does happen to you, thats why I say its the safest way to buy online. I got it all sorted out and the money refunded into my account in less than a week, and I still use the card online now and its never happened again but if it ever does I know I'm covered.

Stuartli 09:25 12 Nov 03

Never had any problems using credit or debit cards online or checking bank accounts (just make sure that websites' security is of the required standard) over a period of five or six years.

Morpheus? 09:36 12 Nov 03

started off slow,ordering online a couple of years ago, now everything i can gets ordered over the net,even the weekly shop, never had a problem...............

Bucko1 10:24 12 Nov 03

I have been shopping online now for 4 years and I've never had a problem. I also do all my banking online. Like the others say make sure it is a secure site and that you see the padlock sign in the bottom r/h corner when it comes to the payment details screen. Also check that the site lists its proper name, address, tel no. etc so they are contactable if you have any queries. I have used Savastore several times with no problem and the other store is well known so you will be ok.

The only other thing I would say is make sure your computer is protected by an up to date virus scanner and a firewall to stop any unwanted snoopers getting hold of any private details.

pj123 11:36 12 Nov 03

I agree with all the responses and have not had any problems. There was an article in my local paper yesterday about "Cardholder not Present" fraud. I was always under the impression that these "remote" transactions could only be delivered to the address that the card number was registered to? Apparently not so? Has it changed? Can I use someone else's card and get them to send it to a completely different address? Might even try it myself, (honestly, of course) I could use my partners card and get it sent to my next door neighbours address.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…