OHCI Compliant Host Controller (won't install)

Graphicool1 10:27 26 Nov 08

WINXP, SP3, Nvidia, Creative Audigy.
'DriverMax' checked and listed 6 drivers to be updated. I updated 5 without a problem. They were mainly USB related, except one and that was for my Creative Audigy soundcard.
The last one was/is...
OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller 5.52.0.0 (Unibrain)
This is how it goes...I download it and it tells me it's installed. Them I'm instructed to re-boot.
After I re-boot WindowsXP says..."Found New Hardware, Do you have a disc, need to find the Drivers" etc, you know the routine.
Of course it can't find the Drivers, either on my PC or on line. Mainly because this IS a Driver!
When I go into the Device Manager it is listed there with a yellow exclamation mark beside it. When I check properties, it says...
This device is not configured correctly.code1)
I've uninstalled and reinstalled so many times now, I'm begining to get dizzy!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:39 26 Nov 08

Code 1

This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)

To update the drivers for this device, click Update Driver. If that doesn't work, see your hardware documentation for more information.

Solution button: Update Driver
This code means that the system has not had a chance to configure the device. To resolve the problem, follow the instructions in the Device Status box. In addition, you may be able to resolve this issue by removing the device in Device Manager, and then running the Add New Hardware wizard from Control Panel.

copy the driver to the desktop (or somewhere else you know exactly where then point found new hardware to its location.

If that doesn't work then clear all USB info from the registry Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry
click here and reinstall the usb drivers

Graphicool1 11:14 26 Nov 08

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\

Nice of you to respond so quick, however, I'm not sure you have grasped the situation. It may be my fault for not making it clear enough.

What I'm trying to install 'Isn't Hardware' I'm trying to install 'A Driver?'.

Or at least 'DriverMax' is telling me that is what this is...
OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller 5.52.0.0 (Unibrain)

My problem lies with the fact that my PC is looking for a driver, for the Hardware I'm NOT trying to install? Or at least, this is how I'm seeing it?

If it is the driver for some specific hardware, then I am at a loss as to which! For as far as I can tell everything seems to be running ok?

Further to your response...
"To update the drivers for this device, click Update Driver"
I've tried this, but I reiterate...This isn't a device, is it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:24 26 Nov 08

Support devices:
Win XP Adaptec AHA-8940 1394 PCI Host Adapter
Win 2K Adaptec AHA-8940CP 1394 PCI Host Adapter
Win ME Adaptec AHA-8945 1394 PCI Host Adapter
Win 2K Adaptec AHA-8945CP 1394 PCI Host Adapter
Win 2K Adaptec AHA-894x/AIC-5800 1394 Controller
Win 98SE Adaptec APA-1394 CardBus-to-1394 Adapter
Win 2K ALi PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
Win 98SE ALi System Controller
Win 98 Intel 82372FB 1394 OHCI Host Controller
Win 98SE National Semiconductor OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
Win Server 2K3 NEC Firewarden OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
Win 98 SiS 7007 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
Win ME Sony CXD3222 OHCI i.LINK(IEEE 1394) PCI Host Controller
Win ME Sony OHCI i.LINK(IEEE 1394) PCI Host Controller
Win 2K Texas Instruments LYNX Compatible IEEE 1394 Host Controller
Win ME Texas Instruments LYNX IEEE 1394 Host Controller
Win Server 2K3 Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
Win 98 Texas Instruments OHCI IEEE 1394 Host Controller
Win 98 USB2.0 PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller

Uninstall it , reboot and see if windows "found new hardware" and attempts to reinstall.

Graphicool1 13:22 26 Nov 08

Hold everything!

I've just noticed that the same driver is listed twice in the 'Device Manager'.

One is the one I've been seeing all the time, with the yellow question mark. I have just spotted another - labled the same - at the top of the list. Having checked it's Properties it would seem that this one is installed correctly.

I have now uninstalled the one with the yellow question mark. It remains to be seen if I have done the right thing or not.

I'll hold off ticking the resolved box for a couple of days. I have however got a good feeling about this?

G1

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:44 26 Nov 08

Sounds good to me.

Graphicool1 13:59 26 Nov 08

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\

I'm afraid the elation was short lived. I have hot footed it, fresh from the reboot. To inform you...
'Welcome to the Found New Hardware Wizard'
Has reared it's ugly head once again!

How can I find out which device it is referring to? I can't supply a driver or disc if I don't know?

G1

T0SH 17:05 26 Nov 08

Did you have this problem before "Driver Max" told you that you needed to update drivers ?

if the answer to this question is no, then use system restore to go back to a date before Driver Max warning

Cheers HC

Graphicool1 12:39 27 Nov 08

Hi TOSH (HC)

Thanks for your input on this matter. Before I respond to your suggestion, I feel I should tell you the following, short scenario of what led to my downloading of 'DriverMax' or (DM).

Following some trouble I was having, getting drivers - NOT from (DM) - for a USB2 card, that would only work as USB1. After installing them, USB2 had been reinstated.

However, following this epiphany, my PC had developed a niggly problem. Which may or may not have been connected? The cursor moved jerkily and kept sticking.

Having exhausted every other avenue ie, viruses, spyware, malware, trojans etc. I thought I might need a driver update and turned to (MD). It ran a system check and found I needed to update the USB drivers etc. Eureka! I thought, perhaps there was a connection after all? I downloaded the 6 drivers recommended, but had to leave their installation for a couple of days.

In the meantime my PC problems began to escalate. My folders and files opened as skeletons and were slow to fill. Everything was in slow mo! Freezing and hanging. I thought, before I install those (MD) drivers I'll try a 'System Restore', I can always download them again if I need to.

My problems didn't go away, nothing had changed for the better.

Normally, after a (SR) I lose all programmes installed after the date I'm Restoring to. So imagine my surprise when I saw that 'DriverMax' was still there! I thought it must be a sign. I installed the drivers. My PC was like a Phoenix, rising from the ashes. It was and still is like new, blisteringly fast and a joy to use.

But I now have this fly in the ointment. Even when I uninstall it from 'Device Manager' as soon as I reboot, there it is, like a bad dream. I have now disabled it. As yet I haven't noticed any hardware not working?

To answer your question...No, I didn't have this problem before (MD). As for (SR) I believe I've answered that.

I have a question:-
Would I be able to uninstall it in 'Safe Mode' and would it make any difference?

G1

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:00 27 Nov 08

Would I be able to uninstall it in 'Safe Mode'
and would it make any difference?

Yes
not sure but worth trying.

Graphicool1 15:31 02 Dec 08

UPDATE

I tried to uninstall it in safe mode. Surprisingly, it wasn't there? It's only there in regular mode? Spooky or what?

Or what probably!

I've now told it to stop telling me about it at Start Up. Also I disabled it.

No programme or any hardware has refused to work. I can obly surmise that it's some kind of glitch.

Thanks for your input guys, I think I'll just leave it at that and call it a day.

G1

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant