Oh what a mess!!! Dial up/windows 98 probs.

Epirb406 17:09 26 Feb 03

OK, starters, know I probably caused this but have spent 3 days trying to solve it!!

Pentium II, windows 98 (1st ed). Connecting to internet with a Tipa P PCI ISDN Terminal adapter, using microsoft dial up adapter, single channel.

With two separate ISPs the connection is dialling, verifying password and logging on to network.

When connected I can ping websites so obviously a connection is made.

When I launch IE Explorer or opera I get page cannot be found messages. Outlook express gives a cannot find server message. I cannot access the web at all.

I have: Uninstalled and reinstalled the Terminal adapter. Uninstalled and reinstalled Dial up networking, dialup adaptors and IE5 and outlook express. I have upgraded and susequently downgraded to/from IE and outlook express 6.I have also reinstalled windows though with this being one of those PCs that came without disks this won't be a 'clean install'

Probable cause(?????????????????) I have been trying to connect 2 computers with a LAN and got well out of my depth, could I have caused this problem??

Many thanks for any help, links, suggestions in advance and I promise never to intefere in what I don't understand again, sincerely, Barney S.

Epirb406 18:25 26 Feb 03

Sorry to be impatient, borrowed machine has to go back soon....Barney

Epirb406 18:54 02 Mar 03

New O/S, three more days and still trying to catch up!

For future reference, any particular reason why this post didn't get any response?

Chhers, Barney

he he :-) 19:05 02 Mar 03

no 1 has any ideas probably.

Epirb406 19:55 10 Oct 03

I found all the answers here: click here a winsock2 problem in my case, hope it helps someone as now I've cracked it I'm having much more fun!!!

Cheers, Epirb.

cottager 20:23 10 Oct 03

Wish I'd known about this site before as I had a similar problem and, like you, spent many days trying to sort it and almost ended up bald!! Glad you are having fun now but how did you find the site? I finally found a friendly computer expert who sorted my problem out.
Cottager

Epirb406 21:54 10 Oct 03

believe it or not, I typed something like ME network help into Google, and a long term mystry was solved!

Epirb

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…