Oh no XP has died

QUADDRA 13:12 16 Oct 07

Hi,
I have a mesh PC (apx 5 yrs 0ld) and the XP has now failed.
Mesh tec. have been through all the recovery options and have now instructed me to install XP from the mesh recovery disk but warned that this will erase all programs and files etc.
Alot has been backed up so not too bad but saying that I do have some photos and the odd file/letter etc that would have been usefull to recover.
Mesh instructed me to take out the hard disk and add it to another system as a second disk, this way I may be able to recover what I want.
Last night went over friends with disk only to find that his system did not support sata disks..... stuffed!
This morning I had a thought that maybe it would be worth getting a new hard disk seeing as prices arent too bad, and doing the new install on that.
Later I could add my old disk as the second in my system, possibly allowing me to take off the files I want???
What do you think?
Would this be a good idea or would you say dont bother bad luck with the photos etc, you probably wont be able to recover them any way??? just do the install and be happy with the newly crap free pc???

What would you do?

woodchip 13:16 16 Oct 07

You could use a Linux Live CD to get at your Files. This way youwould not have to take your drive out. But you need to create a Live CD on another Computer. Check this link out on what you can do.
click here

Pamy 14:22 16 Oct 07

If it's possible to do a reinstall on a new drive with the Mesh restore disk then I would do that and put your old disk in as a slave then transfer the photo's or keep them where they are

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:13 16 Oct 07

In what way has XP died?

Can you borrow a XP CD same as yours (i.e. XP home or XP pro)

If so do a repair
Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…