oh god! please help!

ameba 20:30 25 Apr 03

I have windows ME. 304 mb ram,77% free.
On starting up windows, things were very slow. I removed some programmes from start up menu but I don't think I had to much to start with anyway.
Screen froze and I rebooted. Scan disc for iniotialized but something in PC kept rewriting in a programme. I closed all programmes except for systray and explorer as you do. Scan disc still would not scan all the way before being interupted. Aol suggested something to do with graphics in thier preference section but when I got to the Fonts graphics part, an error message came up saying waol has caused an error in DIBENG.DLL. AOL sugeested closing other programmes and try again. On closing other programmes, i tried to end ccap but then the pc crahed saying it is conflicting with a windows programme that is running. I closed all programmes but each time ccap it crashes. I want ti uninstall windows ME but it asks to check disc for errors first and due to some errors in the disc, Windows will not uninstall till errors are fixed.
Anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it?

woodchip 20:33 25 Apr 03

Start in safe mode by keep pressing F8 when starting your comp, then run scandisk

Rayuk 20:34 25 Apr 03

Try it in safe mode

ameba 20:36 25 Apr 03

Cheers, will give it a try.

ameba 21:01 25 Apr 03

Thanks guys! Finally scan disc got to complete its scan for errors and no errors were to be found.
I also removed my norton anti virus system which may have helped which was on another post?

By the way, an e-mail attchment doing the rounds with a worm in it titled "Blues.Bat"

Whilst here, anyone know where I can get instructions on how to completely wipe clean my pc and start afresh. I don't have any imprtant personel files to worry about losing and any I do have are on floppy?

woodchip 21:17 25 Apr 03

Start your computer with the WinME CD in, if it starts OK to CD rom type at the Prompt FORMAT C: after you have formated your drive, run setup with the CD. If it does not start as above please post back

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…