Oh Deary Me!!!! HELP

davenfish 16:50 03 Jan 04

Have just set up a pc for my brother in law and i cant get it to load with a os.
Everything seems to be wired up ok but i keep getting the same message insert bootable media and press any key.The only known problem i have is that i cant get a slave device on my primary ide channel only as a master on my secondary chanel.
asus a7n8x vm/tv out
1 x 512 ddr 400
120 gb (8 meg c)hd

DieSse 17:05 03 Jan 04

Assuming you're trying to boot from the floppy, then probably either the diskette is bad, or the floppy drive is not working.

Check the cable to the floppy is correctly installed, check the BIOS is set correctly for the type of floppy, try another diskette and try another floppy drive.

davenfish 17:08 03 Jan 04

No trying to boot from disk win xp

Michendi 17:14 03 Jan 04

I assume you have Win XP on a CD and that you have a CD drive installed. If that is the case then you need to ensure that the BIOS is setup to boot from the CD-drive. Normal sequence would be Floppy > HDD > CD-drive. To get the OS loaded you could try changing the sequence to CD-drive > HDD > CD-drive.

Trackrat 17:24 03 Jan 04

The only known problem i have is that i cant get a slave device on my primary ide channel only as a master on my secondary chanel. Could you please explain this more? Will something not work as a slave device on IDE 1 but will work as master on IDE2, if so what is the device.

davenfish 17:34 03 Jan 04

I have changed the boot order to cd, hd, floppy,
Both cd rom and rw will not work as a slave on ide1 with the hd but will work as master on ide2
and i have double checked jumper settings!!!

davenfish 17:35 03 Jan 04

I cant get to the dos prompt either to format the disk

DieSse 17:37 03 Jan 04

Please start a new thread for your own query.

DieSse 17:39 03 Jan 04

You don't need the DOS prompt to format the hard drive, neither will you get it from the CD.

Once you boot up from the XP CD it will offer to partition and format the drive for you.

davenfish 17:48 03 Jan 04

Its not letting me boot up from the cd at all though?

davenfish 17:51 03 Jan 04

The only thing i can think it can be is the hd

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…