Oh dear!! That's blown it.... or....?

Tj_El 11:35 10 Feb 03

Hi all,

I was in the process of trying to re-build my old AT P233MHz PC for the children and after plugging in the case cables where I thought they should be on the motherboard (I dismantled the PC quite a while ago...) and switching on, there was a little spark and smoke poured out the machine. I discovered that one of the 2-lead black/red cables had 'lost' it's insulation i.e. the stuff had melted. Oh drat!
When I switch on now, BIOS runs but nothing else - I think I have messed up the board...? What else could have been messed up?

Anyone have an old AT motherboard lying around that it excess to requirements.... :-(?

Gongoozler 11:51 10 Feb 03

Tj_El, can you identify where the smoke came from? It is quite possible that there will be tell-tale charring of a component or piece of track.

Old AT motherboards - I'll have a look in my junk box. What part of the country are you in?

Tj_El 12:08 10 Feb 03

Hi Gongoozler

The only charred thing evident was the cable - totally burnt through. It does not appear that any other component has been affected.

When I switch on all the case lights come on, both hard drives start spinning, the CD lights up, the CPU fan works and the monitor works but HDD detection fails. I can only assume from that that the mobo is not sending/receiving any signal...

Tj_El 12:28 10 Feb 03

Yaaay! Panic over! The spark'n'flash must have loosened something because after I checked that all connections were seated properly, PC booted up into OS. Phew!

Thank you very much for the offer Gongoozler - nice to know there are people like yourself out there always willing to go the extra mile to assist.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…