Oh dear! No boot?

pj123 14:58 31 Dec 05

A business client has just rung me. He has moved house in the last two weeks and now when he tries his computer it won't boot. It gets as far as the Windows 98SE splash screen and that's it.

He has now delivered it to me. When I connect it up and switch on it boots into Win 98SE no problem, and works fine. He says his new house doesn't have Gas but it does have Electricity.

I am now in the process of backing everything up for him (just in case).

Any ideas?

SG Atlantis® 15:02 31 Dec 05

"He says his new house doesn't have Gas but it does have Electricity"

I didn't think w98se machines ran on GAS, can ya get a converter to run them on electric?

SG Atlantis® 15:03 31 Dec 05

just kidding,

would it be a peripheral of his preventing the boot up?

If it boots for you and not him, what's different?

De Marcus™ 15:11 31 Dec 05

Something moved in transit possibly, and back into place when you received it? Check all the cards are in, infact while your there pull em out an re-seat them.

pj123 15:36 31 Dec 05

SG Atlantis®, "what's different" I don't know. Nothing that I can see. He just brought the "box" over. No monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. I just unplugged my "box" and connected his. It is working perfectly.

De Marcus™, didn't need to do that it just worked OK in my house. Can't prove anything until he takes it home and tries again.

Fortunately, he has two hard disk drives C: with O/S and all programs for which he has all the install disks/CDs and D: where he saves all his files. So if the worst happens and it needs to be formatted again he won't lose his data, and I am now backing up his D: drive anyway.

SG Atlantis® 15:49 31 Dec 05

Hopefully the problem will be gone when he gets it back. Strange one.

As I said it could be something wrong with one of his peripherals or indeed something jiggled out of place in transit as De Marcus says.

good luck.

mattyc_92 17:03 31 Dec 05

I have seen a similar problem, but with Windows 95.

It turned out that the Keyboard was at fault (keys stuck in, literal "Sticky Keys"). After a new Keyboard was used, the system worked perfectly again.

If you have a spare Keyboard, I would try that.

pj123 17:13 31 Dec 05

mattyc_92, sounds good to me. Yes I do have a spare keyboard. I have got until Monday to backup his drives to CD. Then I have promised he can have it back.

pj123 17:52 02 Jan 06

Found most of the problems. He lets his Grandchildren on it when they visit him. There are so many malware/spyware/viruses on there it isn't true. I cleaned it up as much as I can but I still get an error message in Norton Disk Doctor that says:

"The boot record could not be repaired. Unable to continue testing the rest of the disk".

Well he came, and saw his computer working OK at my house. His D: drive is now backed up to CDs.

He has taken it home, but he has decided to buy a new computer to use as his Business Computer and let the kids run wild on the old one.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:55 02 Jan 06

Just install the appropriate software to prevent most of the infections.

Avast or AVG antiviurs

Zonealarm firewall

MsAntispy + Adaware + SpywareBlaster

This combination kept updated of course will protect against most things.

pj123 11:22 03 Jan 06

Haven't heard anything from him yet. (good or bad). Hopefully that means everything is still OK.

Yes, he does have AVG, Adaware, Spybot, Spywareblaster and Zonealarm running and all up to date.

Will tick as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…