Oh dear, another problem

pj123 14:46 01 Feb 06

My friend has a BB acount with btconnect, working OK.

Has now moved to a new area with different phone number. BT says he can't transfer his BB account. Has to be cancelled and a new one set up. OK, he has done that. Unfortunately, it is not activated yet and, as he runs a business he needs to access his emails daily. I have set him up with a temporary dialup PAYG account but when he logs on to btconnect and tries to log in to his email account he gets "Page cannot be displayed". I have tried it using my computer and can log in to his email account with no problem. At the moment I am logging in to his email account daily and then faxing him any new emails. Any suggestions, please?

CLONNEN 14:57 01 Feb 06

Try deactivating the firewall - maybe it is blocking the site

pj123 15:06 01 Feb 06

CLONNEN, thanks will give that a try. He is using Zonealarm and I would have thought that it would have come up with a prompt to Allow or Deny window. Which it hasn't.

ade.h 15:34 01 Feb 06

Disabling a firewall is a sledgehammer/nut solution and should only be necessary as a last resort.

Find out what permissions this particular site needs and then see if they are currently blocked in the firewall or the browser. My firewalls never cause any issues with particular sites, but I am careful with how they are configured; such things are usually the browser's fault.

Cookies and Javascript (not Java) would be the most obvious two, but there are other possibilities.

ade.h 15:36 01 Feb 06

Besides, many firewalls cannot be fully and completely deactivated.

SG Atlantis® 15:47 01 Feb 06

pj123

An appropriate title would have been good.

Can he collect his mail using outlook rather than using a browser?

I'd also suggest to try dropping the security settings in internet options for that site.

pj123 16:29 01 Feb 06

SG Atlantis®, yes I agree a more appropriate title would have been good. Unfortunately, I couldn't think of one.

No, he doesn't seem to be able to collect his email from anywhere. He always gets: The page cannot be displayed.

Speak to BT and see if they can temporarily rediredt his email to his new account until the line is activated. If he is a business user they should be obliging --perhaps.

pj123 15:53 02 Feb 06

Update.

Have just tried to set up a Tiscali PAYG account. He can get to Tiscali Home page, but when he clicks on "New Members" "Join now" link all he gets is "Page cannot be displayed".

Tried the same thing with Wanadoo. Again when he clicks on "Join now" link he gets "Page cannot be displayed".

How is it that he can access the Home Pages OK but can't get any further????

skidzy 16:04 02 Feb 06

PJ..Did you say you are using Zonealarm Firewall,If so...open zonealarm,click on firewall..do not turn it off !!..In the internetsecurity box It should be set at stealth mode,drop the stealth bar down to medium level,you are still protected..try you email and lets see if you get some joy..Dont forget to put the bar back to stealth mode.

ade.h 16:08 02 Feb 06

Try to get everything allowed in IE; javascript, cookies, other scripts, everything. If you find that IE won't play ball to the dgree required, can you get him to use Firefox? Because this browser is easier to free up vis a vis website features, security, etc.

Enable everything. Then you can gradually start locking it down again afterwards.

Do the same with the javascript permissions, web filtering, cookies, images, etc. in Zonealarm. Apologies if Zonealarm does not actually have this degree of tuneability, as it's the about only firewall that I have never used. But it certainly should be this configurable.

There should not be any need to disable it; that's a last resort, only to be used if it does not allow you enough control over its permissions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…