Office XP programs will not (stay) open

VoG™ 18:51 10 Mar 03

Running Windows XP before I forget, single user account with Administrator priviledges.

I installed McAfee Uninstaller because it came free with renewing my anti virus subscription.

I now find that when I try to launch an Office program like Word, immediately after the splash screen disappears and a blank document is displayed a Windows Installer dialog appears saying "Preparing to install". (The following then happens with or without the Office CD in the drive.)

Up pops another dialog "An error occurred and this feature is no longer functioning properly. Would you like to repair this feature now" (Y/N) If Y the installer appears again, followed by "Word cannot install the necessary files due to Windows Installer Error 1635. If N I get some of the other errors as below and Word quits.

This is followed by "This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer patch package".

Followed by "Microsoft Word is not installed for the current user. Please run setup to install the application". Clicking on OK (the only option), Word quits.

Tried inserting the Office CD to access the repair function and it does not auto-run. If I launch setup.exe I get the Windows Installer Error 1635 message...

Uninstalled McAfee Uninstaller - Word etc. give exactly the same errors.

Tried System Restore - no restore points work. The blue progress bar completes but when Windows reloads it says it cannot restore to the specified time.

I then found MS Knowledgebase article Q322206 which refers to a SIMILAR problem. The first step it recommends is to uninstall Office via Add/Remove programs. Guess what - I get the message "This patch package could not be opened...".

Please help - I'm at my wits end.

€dstow 18:56 10 Mar 03

With great fear and trembling I ask: Didn't you have a backup?

€d

VoG™ 18:58 10 Mar 03

Backup of documents of course but I thought that my Office disk was backup for the programs!

jazzypop 19:15 10 Mar 03

My best guess is that McAfee has replaced the MS Installer files with it's own version (or at least 'hidden' them, so that it can intercept installation routines). This has caused MS programs that rely on these installer files, especially MS Word, to have a hissy fit.

Try downloading the Installer patch from click here - see click here for further info

If my speculation ( I won't touch McAfee products any more)is correct, it is another spectacular foul-up by McAfee.
Don't forget the McAfee support options (free chat etc) at click here

Do make a System Restore point before trying the fix above. Good luck :)

VoG™ 19:45 10 Mar 03

That appears to have worked despite it tot being supported in XP. It also took several goes before it got round to Office. Anyway, I'm now reinstalling Office and I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks a lot.

VoG™ 20:02 10 Mar 03

Yes, that's worked. Thanks, you've saved my bacon yet again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…