Office XP - loss of Help directory

Appletree 19:52 24 Jan 05

I have recently had to reload the whole of my Office XP Pro suite. It is now working satisfactorily except for two aspects. (1) There is no Help directory in any of the Office programs (i.e. Word, Power Point, Excell or Outlook. (2) In Photo Editor I cannot now open any .jpg files, it appears the filter has not been included. Previously, prior to the reinstallation of Office, these two aspects had been working correctly.

In an attempt to correct the problems I again removed Office and then reinstalled it, but to no avail, the problems remain the same.

Any ideas on how I may be able to overcome these problems please?

VoG II 20:18 24 Jan 05
  Appletree 14:59 25 Jan 05

To VoG,
Thanks for your suggestion re the new Office Help files. I have downloaded and installed them but it has not overcome the problem. However it has shown me what I believe the problem to be.

The Microsoft instruction says these files are to be installed in <C:\Program Files\Microsft Office\Office10\1033> (quite logically!), but when a help topic is requested in, say Word, it brings up a Windows Explorer page at <C:\Windows\system32\1033>. Thus the Help request is looking in the wrong place!

How do I now redirect the Office Help request to the correct 1033 file, i.e. in Office10?

I eagerly await your assistance!

Many thanks.

Jackcoms 15:29 25 Jan 05

Navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\1033 and highlight the file/s you want to move.

At the left-hand side of the screen under 'File and Folder Tasks' click on 'Move the Selected Items'.

Within the 'Move Item' dialogue box, click through to C:\Windows\system32\1033 (or wherever you want to move them to).

Click 'Move' in the 'Move Items' dialogue box.

Appletree 21:08 25 Jan 05

Jackcoms,
Thanks for your info re moving the Help files.

I tried it by copying the whole of the files from folder '\Office10\1033' to folder '\system 32\1033'. However the Office programs still did not find the Help files with the same consequence as reported initially, that no help topics were available.

I believe that it is necessary to direct Word, etc to the location of the Help files, rather than the other way round as you suggest, but I don't know how to do this!

Any other suggestions please!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…