Office xp error message

ninky4 16:30 13 Jun 04

Can anyone please help I am trying to load Oxxice Xp but I keep getting error 1311 D:\office 1 cab. I also have purchased Shrek and am geting a similar message error 1311 D:\main app.cab thanks

VoG II 16:40 13 Jun 04
  SANTOS7 16:41 13 Jun 04

How to fix the "windows installer 1311" error code:

1) Go into your control panel/perv maintainance. 2) Open up "Administrative Tools"
3) From here go to "Local Security Policy"

4) Open up "Local Policies" and from there "Security Options"
5) Now in the right hand side box, find the bit that says:
"DEVICES: Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user only"
6) Right click on that, and go to properties
7) Change the bullet point from "Enable" to "Disable"
8) Close it all down, restart your PC

Lozzy 16:43 13 Jun 04

When you install Microsoft Office, you may receive an error message similar to the following:

Error 1311

Cannot locate source file Cabinetfile.cab
CAUSE
This problem may occur when the following conditions are true:
You are installing Microsoft Office from an installation point that is located on the network and that is accessed by multiple users.
The installation source at this network location is contained in cabinet files.
Microsoft Office is being installed on another computer on the network at the same time that you are trying to install Microsoft Office and the computer is using the same network installation point.
The operating system of the other computer is the original released version of Microsoft Windows XP

Note Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP-1) is not installed.
The other network computer does not release control of the installation files in a timely manner as expected. This prevents your computer from accessing those files.
WORKAROUND
To work around this behavior, use any of the following methods:
Create an administrative installation point for Office. Cabinet files are not present in administrative installation points.
When you receive the error message, click Retry to make the installation continue correctly.
Upgrade the operating systems of any Windows XP client computers on the network to Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1). To do this, a user with the correct permissions must log on to each Windows XP client computer, click Start, point to All Programs, and then click Windows Update.

Hope this helps courtesy of MS Knowledge Base

Lozzy 16:43 13 Jun 04

When you install Microsoft Office, you may receive an error message similar to the following:

Error 1311

Cannot locate source file Cabinetfile.cab
CAUSE
This problem may occur when the following conditions are true:
You are installing Microsoft Office from an installation point that is located on the network and that is accessed by multiple users.
The installation source at this network location is contained in cabinet files.
Microsoft Office is being installed on another computer on the network at the same time that you are trying to install Microsoft Office and the computer is using the same network installation point.
The operating system of the other computer is the original released version of Microsoft Windows XP

Note Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP-1) is not installed.
The other network computer does not release control of the installation files in a timely manner as expected. This prevents your computer from accessing those files.
WORKAROUND
To work around this behavior, use any of the following methods:
Create an administrative installation point for Office. Cabinet files are not present in administrative installation points.
When you receive the error message, click Retry to make the installation continue correctly.
Upgrade the operating systems of any Windows XP client computers on the network to Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1). To do this, a user with the correct permissions must log on to each Windows XP client computer, click Start, point to All Programs, and then click Windows Update.

Hope this helps courtesy of MS Knowledge Base

conrail 16:54 13 Jun 04

although not as knowledgable as you folk but isn't there an option on the office xp disc that repairs the install?

VoG II 16:57 13 Jun 04

Yes there is but that's only useful once you have successfully installed Office which ninky4 hasn't, as far as I can see.

Lozzy 16:58 13 Jun 04

yes but it does not sort an installation issue

woodchip 16:58 13 Jun 04

I would have thought that first not a reinstall

ninky4 18:16 13 Jun 04

Many thanks for all your help. I did as you suggested Santos7 and thank you very much because it has worked ,I have installed Office xp and also Shrek and they both work fine

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…