Office Upgrade

Phil Owers 09:58 06 Apr 03

I have recently tried to work on my Office XP installtion and also download updates from Microsoft. In both cases the system has tried to use a file called 'office1.cab' which does not exist on my PC or the Office CD's even though the instal seems to think it should. Now I am stuck - any offers please - Phil

Taran 10:15 06 Apr 03

OFFICE1.CAB is indeed on your CDROM, although it is a hidden file, so unless you have hidden files set to be visible in your folder view options you can look all you like and you won't be able to find it. The setup routine however, should be able to find it, regardless of whether it is set to visible or not.

Try opening your Control Panel, double click on Folder Options, click the tab called View and select the option to "Show hidden files and folders". Click Apply then OK.

If you do the above you should be able to browse the Office XP CDROM and see the OFFICE1.CAB file for yourself.

Setup should still be able to find it though, regardless of the above, so this probably won't fix your problem. Article Q314810 in the Microsoft Knowledge Base has some suggestions on possible causes and fixes. click here to see it for yourself. It may help.

Good luck.

Taran

Phil Owers 13:21 06 Apr 03

Taran - Thanks very much for that you pointed me in the right direction. I had to copy the Office CD to my hard drive and change the properties of Office1.cab to remove the 'hidden' tag. Then everthing appears able to access it. Thanks again - Phil

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…