Office Suite

john bunyan 20:36 25 Jul 07

I have used Lotus 123, Wordpro and Freelance (or earlier versions from Lotus for up to 20 years! I am used to writing macros in 123 linked to Freelance to automatically update graphs etc on a daily basis. Should I consider going through the learning curve of switching to Microsoft, or will Lotus keep up - is it still available? I am retired now so do not need to be quite so up to date,and only want to consider Lotus or Microsoft, rather than other suites. Any views?

Totally-braindead 20:40 25 Jul 07

I've never used Lotus but I've got used to MS office. If you don't do that much anyway you might consider OpenOffice as its free.
If your old Lotus still works and you're used to it I don't see why you don't just keep using it.
As a cheaper alternative to the full office you could also consider MS Works.

NotSureBoutThis 20:46 25 Jul 07

I use openoffice I can recommend it, as stated, by TB, it's also free.

john bunyan 20:52 25 Jul 07

Thanks t-bd and NSBS. I can just keep it - I usually remember to save text in rtf format if sending it to others. I just wondered if I should bite the bullet and switch - I have MS Works but have never used it. Not sure if Lotus will work with Vista.

VoG II 20:52 25 Jul 07

Can you post an example of one of your macros please? I'd like to see how similar it is to Office VBA.

wee eddie 21:25 25 Jul 07

You should think of what you will need the Office Suite for.

However you may be OK for a while. See here click here

That should see you through for a while.

I have a similar problem with Office Pro which I have been using for about the last 10 years. I'm currently running XP (ver. 2002) which may not work with Windows 7, but in the other hand I have discovered that only about 10% of Office is used in my new lifestyle. Much to my surprise.

Apart from Outlook, I should be able to get by with a much simpler system. Good luck. Ditching Lotus will be worth a couple of Rounds at Gleneagles.

john bunyan 22:44 25 Jul 07

Thanks, wee eddie. I'll stick with it.
VoG. Here's part of one - I used to look at certain edible oil prices and had columns of number updated daily and weekly . Too long to fully explain here but part of one macro was :
/grgtlxdate1~asbo~b3bo~c6bo~olaSPOT BO~lb3 MTHS BO~lc6MTHS BO~fgbqtfBEAN OIL~tsHFl/100Kg cif R'DAM~tyHFl/100Kg~syaff2~qqsbo~rq/grgtlxdate1~asrp~b3rp~c6rp~olaSPOT RP~lb3 MTHS RP~lc6MTHS RP~
fgbqtfRAPE OIL~tsHFl/100KgcifR'DAM~tyHFl/100Kg~syaff2~
qqsrp~rq/grgtlxdate1~assfa~b3sfa~c6sfa~
olaSPOT SFA~lb3 MTHS SFA~lc6MTHS SFA~
fgbqtfANY ORIGIN SUN OIL~ts$/MT cifR'DAM~ty$~syaff2~
qqssfa~rq
/grgtlxdate1~assfe~b3sfe~c6sfe~
olaSPOT SFE~lb3 MTHS SFE~lc6MTHS SFE~
fgbqtfEEC SUN OIL~ts$/MT cif R'DAM~ty$~syaff2~
qqssfe~rq/grgtlxdate1~asar~b3ar~c6ar~
olaSPOT AR~lb3 MTHS AR~lc6MTHS AR~
fgbqtfGROUNDNUT OIL~ts$/MT cif R'DAM~ty$~syaff2~
qqsar~rq
/grgtlxdate1~aspo~b3po~c6po~
olaSPOT PO~lb3 MTHS PO~lc6MTHS PO~
fgbqtfPALM OIL~ts$/MT cif R'DAM~ty$~syaff2~
qqspo~rq
/grgtlxdate1~ascn~b3cn~c6cn~
olaSPOT CN~lb3 MTHS CN~lc6MTHS CN~gbqtfCOCONUT OIL~ts$/MT cif R'DAM~ty$~syaff~qqscn~rq
/grgtlxdate1~aspk~b3pk~c6pk~
olaSPOT PK~lb3 MTHS PK~lc6MTHS PK~
fgbqtfPALM KERNEL OIL~ts$/MT cif R'DAM~ty$~syaff2~
qqspk~rq
/grgtlxdate1~asjfh~b3jfh~c6jfh~
olaSPOT JFH~lb3 MTHS JFH~lc6MTHS JFH~
fgbqtfJAPANESE FISH OIL~ts$/MT cif R'DAM~ty$~syaff2~
qqsfh~rq

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017