"Office Data File" (.pst)

Rodz 19:48 25 Oct 09

Hi,
Had my PC rebuilt a few months ago.
A lot of my old data was saved for me in documents as "files saved from before rebuild".
I want to look at something in one particular file, they are all my emails from before the rebuild.
When I click on it I get "Office Data File" (.pst)
and says it cannot open it.
It also says I could damage my operating system if I do open it.
How do I open it?
Will it cause me a problem?
Thanks
Rodz

Zak 20:26 25 Oct 09

You need to open the .pst via MS Outlook. Google for your version of MS Office.

Rodz 20:34 25 Oct 09

Thanks Zak
Rodz

Rodz 21:23 25 Oct 09

Zak,
Did that a box opens up "File Conversion" and the name of the file "saved emails"
Select the encoding that makes your document readable;
I ticked the windows box which if the default anyway.
Next scrolled to Western European (Windows) as the language and clicked next.
I then got 32.000 pages of noughts and other symbols. The file is 117mg.
How do I make it readable?
Thanks
Rodz

BRYNIT 21:45 25 Oct 09

If the pst file is corrupt you will find a program called scanpst in the MS office folder which hopefully will repair it. Which version of outlook are you using?

Rodz 22:09 25 Oct 09

Thanks, will look at that.
Rodz

BRYNIT 23:32 25 Oct 09

Just had a look on another computer, the scanpst is in my C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033 folder.

If the PST file is OK

Make a copy of the PST file as a backup.

Open Outlook 2003

Go to file/Data file management/add OK search for the PST file select and click OK. You should now have two Personal folder with all the sub folders. You should now be able to drag all the e-mails/files that you want from the bottom Personal folder to the top and leave files you don’t want go back to file/Data file management select the PST file and click on remove. You now only have one Personal folder.

(Note the reason for the backup copy is after moving the files across from the bottom to the top they are removed from the old PST file.)

Forum Editor 23:48 25 Oct 09

in Outlook. Create a folder in Outlook and call it whatever you like - 'old emails' for instance. Go into that folder, then go to 'File' and select the 'Import and Export' option. Follow the prompts, and tell Outlook to import the file into the current folder.

All your messages will appear.

Rodz 09:46 26 Oct 09

Thanks guys,
Sure I can sort it now.
Will come back to if I have a problem.
Thanks again
Rodz

Forum Editor 19:41 26 Oct 09

could you apply the green tick to your thread? It saves people having to open it, thinking you still need assistance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…