Office 2010 beta - quick newbie questions...

HMG1K 14:10 11 Jan 10

I'm a newbie when it comes to such betas, in this instance Office 2010 - so I wondered what are the downsides to using such an unrealeased product, aside from having a few potential bugs?

Here's my predicament. I've bought a new laptop recently with a 3-month trial of Office 2007 expiring this month. I'm also about to do a fresh install on my home system of Windows 7 on a new hard drive, so will need Office.

However i don't want to go and buy licences for 2007 if 2010 is due out in June.

Can I use the beta version and then pay to buy licences when the official release is out?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

bremner 14:14 11 Jan 10

When the beat expires - August I seem to remember - then you will need to uninstall the beta and install your newly purchased full version

HMG1K 14:18 11 Jan 10

bremner - you are a star! That is just perfect for me!

:-)

Thank you!

Woolwell 14:38 11 Jan 10

Remember any beta program may have bugs. It would be wise to set a system restore point before installing it so that you can revert if you have problems. In fact with beta programs I would invest in something like Acronis so that you have a clone of your good disc to go back to.

kdt 18:12 11 Jan 10

I have been using 2010 since last year with technical preview & now beta. Except for some send receive bugs nothing worrying. Also as far as I know October 2010 is the limit when you have to decide & uninstall the beta & buy the licence. I f you don't it will work in limited mode only.Keep your fingers crossed may be beta users could get special deal...nothing concrete though I ordered 2007 Enterprise Edition for my new pc but will keep 2010 betas on my old pc & laptop for sometime.

skeletal 18:46 11 Jan 10

I have just started to use the beta, and me being me, have already found a few bugs. I have switched back to 2007 for some important work, but will keep dipping into it.

To be on the safe side I have made backup copies of my Word normal.dot file because it contains so much code.

If you don’t program in VBA, this should not be much of an issue for you.

The bugs encountered have not, so far, been bad enough to cause any damage.

As part of the trial, it has put two buttons on the task bar so if you find a bug, you just press the button and send details; there is another for things you like. What a good idea (if they take any notice of course).

Skeletal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017